Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to open Act Pro 2011 database from the hard drive of a damaged computer

Tuned Listener

How to open Act Pro 2011 database from the hard drive of a damaged computer

Hello...The motherboard of my main networked computer (i.e., computer housing the act 2011 database) has failed.  I removed the internal hard drive containing the act database and made it into an external drive.  I have located the .pad file in the drive but I cannot open it from my backup computer.  This computer also has Act Pro 2011 installed and has been synchronized to the main computer before it failed.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me how I can open the database on my backup computer?

Note:  I don't know if I ever backed up the .pad database file; if I did, I don't know where to find it to perform a restore (i.e., don't know the name of the zip file).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to open Act Pro 2011 database from the hard drive of a damaged computer

The pad file is only a pointer, the ADF and ALF are the actual database files. You would need to move those files to your local drive and then open with the ADF file.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Re: How to open Act Pro 2011 database from the hard drive of a damaged computer

Thanks the invaluable assistance Roy. 

When I moved the three files associated with the database and renamed them in the c directory, I got the following error messages: 

1.  The SQL Database Service is not started.

2.  Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

The ACT application program then closes after the error messages are displayed and acknowledged.

I managed to resolve the problem by starting the SQL Database Service via the following steps:

To check the SQL service:

- click on Windows Start button

- on XP > select Run

- on Vista/Win7 > use the Search field

- enter the command 'Services.msc' > hit enter

- on the Services screen scroll down to 'SQL Server (Act7)' > check the Status column

- if blank > right click on the service and select Start

- attempt restore

I thought I would post this info for those with a similar problem.  All the best.