Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to move ACT to a new PC?

How to move ACT to a new PC?

Greetings, Long time yet basic ACT user here, wondering how to move Act 6.0.3 and databases to my new computer? Both PCs run XP, new one runs Office 2007. I don't have the original ACT install CDs anymore. I copied the ACT file from the old PC on an external hard drive and copied it to the new PC. When I double click Act.exe file I get the error "This version of Act cannot be run because it has not been properly installed or it has been damaged." I downloaded the ACT 2008 (10.0) upgrade and still get the same error. Any ideas? Thanks in advance...
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to move ACT to a new PC?

You'll need to find a CD and your license key. You can't move any Windows application by copying the program.

Also, ACT! 6 won't work with Office 2007 - you need ACT! 2008 (10) for that.

You say you downloaded the ACT! 2008 update... you'd need the full trial install, not just an update

Actually I'm picking up on the error as I'm getting the same error after uninstalling Act 5.0.4 before running the Symantec uninstall tool to correct an issue I was having with Norton 360. After running the utility and reinstalling Norton 360, and re-installing ACT, everything seems to go fine until I try to open it, I getting the same error: This version of Act cannot be run because it has not been properly installed or it has been damaged.

In this case I have the CD and I'm re-installing it on the same computer I removed it from.

Any suggestion?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Norton 360

There is a serious problem with Norton 360 and ACT!

Many clients are complaining that the Installation of 360 stops ACT working and I believe that Norton itself now say that 360 is not compatible with ACT!

What I fail to understand is how a previous owner of the ACT name can now produce software that stops or seriously affects that product.

My advice is not to use Norton 360 if you want to use ACT!

There is a very good free virus software package called Clamwin that does work with ACT and is compatible with XP, Vista, and Server 2003 etc.

Link http://www.clamwin.com

Hope this helps

Chip