Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to lookup by record number or record ID

Accepted Solution Solved
Bronze Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to lookup by record number or record ID

Is it possible to lookup contacts by record number.

Actually, to help with a mailer and to keep the order more random, I would like to lookup groups by record ID or record number.

Can this be done?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 20.0.159
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 1TB HDD.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎07-26-2019 12:38 PM
Silver Contributor

Re: How to lookup by record number or record ID

[ Edited ]

The short answer is no.

The record number at the top changes as soon as you add a new record so it will keep changing. The internal ID number is unique but very long and would drive you mad if you used that as a way of looking up or bunching record. (It is hidden but can be exposed or copied to another field but will not solve your question.)

You  could give your records a permanent sequential number and there are a couple of add-on's that can manage that and I will add the links here if interested.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

Keystroke has a free-on that writes the Contact GUID to a "visible field in ACT!:

http://keystroke.ca/files/g2f/Guid2Fieldv1.0.exe

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Bronze Super Contributor

Many thanks.  Not knowing what the ID looked like, I created a number field.  Then learned it needed to be a character field of at least 40 characters in length. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 20.0.159
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 1TB HDD.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎07-26-2019 12:38 PM
Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

The short answer is no.

The record number at the top changes as soon as you add a new record so it will keep changing. The internal ID number is unique but very long and would drive you mad if you used that as a way of looking up or bunching record. (It is hidden but can be exposed or copied to another field but will not solve your question.)

You  could give your records a permanent sequential number and there are a couple of add-on's that can manage that and I will add the links here if interested.

@ch1p wrote:

The short answer is no.

The record number at the top changes as soon as you add a new record so it will keep changing. The internal ID MyPrepaidBalance number is unique but very long and would drive you mad if you used that as a way of looking up or bunching record. (It is hidden but can be exposed or copied to another field but will not solve your question.)

Many thanks for that complete information!

Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is a link to a previous article that also has links to the add-ons.

I wonder what happened to the auto numbering that Jon mentioned was in beta in this article?

https://community.act.com/t5/Act-Premium/auto-numbering/td-p/345987