Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to link referring contact to referred contact

Loyal Listener

How to link referring contact to referred contact

I'm going to be starting with Act having used Goldmine for many many years.  I see that Act has a "referred by" drop-down list, for types of referrals.  I also need a way to track who is referring who, specifically.  I see a Relationship tab, but that doesn't seem quite right, although I guess I could make it work.  Is there a better way?
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: How to link referring contact to referred contact

Without knowing more about what you need for the function to do, the Relationship tab is most likely the best way to track the specific 'referred by' information.  Depending on how you enter the data for the relationship, you can do a search of the Relationships by using the Lookup menu > Search on Keywords option.
Greg Martin
Sage
Loyal Listener

Thank you for your prompt reply.  My situation is this. I'm a therapist, so several types of individuals (doctors, teachers, clergy, etc) refer to me.  I can put those types in a drop-down menu.  But I need to know who Dr. Jones or Rev. Smith has referred, specifically.  In Goldmine or MS BCM, there is a way to easily see that.  Is there a way to do that in Act?

Loyal Listener

Still wondering how to do this.  I need to be able to run reports on who specifically has referred who.  What I have now (in Goldmine) is the ability to categorize new clients by the general way in which they were referred -- yellow pages, doctor, attorney, web, etc.  I see that in Act!, this would be the "referred by" field.

I can see that I might use the Relationship tab to link contacts, so that if Dr. Smith refers John Jones, Dr. Smith can be "Referring Party" and John Jones can be "New client".

Can I then run a report on just those relationships, sorted by the "referred by" field, ideally for a certain time period?  This is so crucial to my business, and I would think to most people's businesses.  I feel like I must be missing something.  Does Act have this ability?  I can't seem to find reference to it anywhere.

Deborah

Platinum Super Contributor

For your situation, needing to know who referred the contact - I would recommend creating a new field in your database to accompany the 'Referred By' field.  The Referred By field can remain a type, but create a new field for the actual name of the referrer (ex: Referred Name).  You can then run reports and include this new field.

For information on creating new fields, visit this article: Managing Fields in Act!

For information on updating your layout (to show the new field), visit this article: Design Layouts in Act!

Greg Martin
Sage
Loyal Listener

Thank you.  However, I guess I didn't explain myself well.  I need to know referring info in both directions.  That linking between the referrering professional and referred client is very important.  It's great on the screen in Act, but I need to figure out how to get the reporting info I need.   It's a puzzle!
Bronze Contributor

I do this now by using companies and divisions.

Create a company for each referring organization. 

Create a division under each company called "company referrals"

For example:

Company:  "Dr. John Smith"

Division:  "Dr. John Smith Referrals"

Think ahead of how you want to name the companies because of sorting rules.

This should show you the relationship both ways.  This could also be done with groups.  I like using companies because of its being hyperlinked.

However, with the additiion of the relationships tab, I think that would work better.  I played around with this.  Let's say that Dr. John Smith and Trinity Church both recommended Bill Gates to you for therapy.  By using relationships you will later be able to look under Bill Gates and see who referred him to you.  Likewise you will be able to look under Dr. John Smith and see all the people he referred.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013