Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to link family members

How to link family members

I typically have a single client, but I may work with thier spouse, children or other family members.  How can I link the contacts?  If I enter the husband as a contact, then work with his wife, how can I arrange the contacts so that when I bring up one of the spouses I know the other exists?  And the same for the children... If I call up a child and the mother is entered how can I know that???   Ah!

Tuned Listener

Re: How to link family members

Can't you group them?
--------------------------
Regards,

Brian Myers
Dataweb USA Inc.
www.datawebusa.com
1-888-Dataweb (328-2932)
Nickel Elite Contributor

One possible option?

Add the spouse and other family members as secondary contacts.

Cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Platinum Elite Contributor

On the horizon:

If you are using ACT! 2009 (version 11), there is an update coming out in the next few weeks that will add a Relationships tab to your database.  Under this tab you can "relate" or link contacts to another.  Until then, I think the Secondary Contacts option mentioned in a previous response to your post option may be your best bet.  When the update is available, you can always promote the secondary contacts to actual contacts then set up the relationships.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

AMB

Does anybody know whether this update has happened now to enable family members to be linked?   I have ACT! 2009 and my system says I am up to date but cannot yet see a Relationships Tab.  Many thanks for your help.

I have a problem with this "Related Contacts" or "Relationships" tab.  I followed the instructions and added the tab to the Layout.  (Ver. 11.1.183.0)  But the tab is blank, no fields on it, and no "Add relationship" button or anything.

Anyone seen this before, have a fix?  Our company has not paid for a support plan and its infuriating, I cannot get help from Sage!

Thanks.

If you go back to to Layout Designer, then go to Edit/Tabs...is "Relationships" or "Related Contacts" listed in the Hidden Tabs section? If, so then move it over to the right side and save the layout.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Yes, that's exactly what I did, and it added the tab.  But there is nothing on that tab.

Oddly, when I went to check it, the "Related Contacts" was in both the right AND left sides of the list!  I added it again, moving it from left to right, so now I have two blank "Related Contacts" tabs.

What else might I be doing wrong?

This may an issue with your layout or could be a damaged preferences file.

Try adding the tab to another layout, such as the Basic Contact Layout 1024x768. If it adds successfully, then the issue is with your layout.

You can also try rebuilding your preferences file by following the steps in KB Article 14770. If this process does not resolve, then try the alternative method in KB Article 22879

One question, did you install ACT! 2009 with the 11.1 build already included, or did you have 11.0 and manually apply the 11.1 update?

Greig Hollister