Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to import records from a database run by a standard user

Copper Contributor

How to import records from a database run by a standard user

Using ACT version 10.0.1.199 and have now managed to set up remote synchronisation via a VPN tunnel.

We created a copy of our database for use by a new employee on alaptop but only made her a standard user.  Consequently we now want to incorporate her database into the "master" one on our networked server but standard users do not have export/save empty copy/restore/backup facility.

Any ideas on how we can achieve this?  Her laptop does have network access when in the office so what files should we copy/import to collect her database?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to import records from a database run by a standard user

You can change her to an Admin user on the main database, have her sync, then close and reopen ACT!  She will now be an Admin in the remote.  You can then do the import/export and change her back to a Standard user when done.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion but when she synchronises the first time after I change the master database for her to be an Admin user wants stops her database records importing automatically into the master database?

If I understand the question correctly, you are asking if changing her to an Admin will affect the way she currently is setup to sync?  The answer is no, as the only thing you are modifying is her security role and this will not affect syncing.  You only need her to be an Admin for the import/export.  After that is done, you can change her back to a Standard users using the method I described earlier.

If I have misunderstood your question, please let me know and rephrase it.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

She is not set up to sync at the moment which is why I am worred that first sync will download all her records.  Her database is a copy of our master one made in May 2008 and it is only installed on her laptop to which she has been adding/editing records since that date so that is why we need to import them now synchronisation is enabled.

So I need to create a remote database for her to unpack and install (as Admin user?), then synchronise and then import the records?

Before proceeding, I just need to verify something.  Is the database that she has just a copy of the main database or is it a remote database that was created from the main database and is able to sync with the main database?

If it is a remote, then there should be no need to import, just sync the data over.  Make sure that both versions of ACT! are the same (ie, 10.0.1.199) on her machine and the server.

If it is just a copy, then there will be an admin user in there (ACT! requires that every database have a least one admin user), so you can just sign in as that user and do the import.  You should be able to sign in to her database using one of the same Admin users that exist on your main database, since it is a copy and should have the same users.

Greig Hollister

Assuming, as you seem to have said, this was a copy of the database BEFORE you set up sync.... so it's not a sync remote it's just a copy?

Then you'd still have the same users and can import it as an admin - BACKUP BOTH FIRST (of course), then try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/3gokzx