Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to import contacts into a specific group?

Copper Contributor

How to import contacts into a specific group?

I have added a field to the csv file to mirror the groups name, attempted import and did not see "group name" field name from map file.

Any help is appreciated!

Gregg

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to import contacts into a specific group?

The easiest way is to bring it into a normal field, the create the Groups and add a dynamic criteria for each Group to auto add the contacts where that field has the right data

See this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1286...

Copper Contributor

Thanks Mike BUT maybe I am not explaining my issue correctly:

1. I have an existing GROUP already setup in ACT

2. I want to import contacts from an external csv file into that established GROUP.

Thank you for the article but it addresses contacts ALREADY part of an ACT dbase.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Same applies... you just need to add a field to the Contact table and put the field with the Group name there.

Then add the rule to the Group already created

See this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1520...

If you would like the contacts in your import file to be automatically assigned to a Group or Company, you must include a column in the import file for a field or fields that contains data that matches a Group or Company membership criteria (an example would be the ID/Status field used to assign contacts to a particular status group). This way, when you import the contacts in and these field(s) are populated, if the data in these field(s) matches the membership criteria for a particular Group or Company, the contact will be automatically linked to that Group or Company. 

The only other way is to import with an add-on such as itImport - which can add the contacts to the Groups as Static members based on criteria in the import file

Copper Contributor

Thanks for that bit of info --am still having problems:

I have created the following column headings in excel:

FirstName

LastName

ID/Status

Address1

City

State

Zip

Phone

Mobile

I saved the file with the headings as shown above and can import the CSV file into ACT BUT the FirstName and LastName fields that are mapped, do not show up in the import.

Ideas?

Thanks

Gregg

Once you create a group place a record in the group. select the record so you see your contact info and see 1 of 1 listed where your contact count shows.

Now when you import your contacts they will go into that group and not the main body of contacts.

Then you can delete the first contact you put in the group to allow you to select it and you should be all done.

The Field Names must be First Name Last Name (with a space) not FirstName LastName.  Hope that helps!