Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to have a sales view not slave of an opportunity?

How to have a sales view not slave of an opportunity?

I was using ACT!2000 and "unfortunatelly"  I had to move to ACT! by Sage 2010 (Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1.). I used to have under the CONTACT information a TAB with my detailed sales records. All these records were imported to the new application, but all the sales registers are now slaves of an opportunity. This placed a big problem for me. I am a retailer, so the operator that works with the ACT needs to first reach the customer register, then he must read the SALES tab and see what products the customer bought (not a list of opportunities). Until now I were not able to configure the application to show me this screen (as it was with ACT2000). I cannot accept the idea of working opportunities in a retail company. I sell products, not projects! How can I see a TAB listing all the products sold when I get at a contact?

For instance, when I reach Mr. Brown records I need to see in the sales tab:

Aug, 20 2009 Chocolate candy 10 US$ 12 US$ 120 Won

Aug, 20 2008 Chocolate candy 10 US$ 11 US$ 110 Won

Aug, 20 2007 Chocolate candy 10 US$ 10 US$ 100 Won

The I can immediatelly tell Mr. Brown .... hey, you bought the chocolate candy with us during the last 3 years .... bla bla bla

What I have now are opportunities and I have to go into each opportunity to see what was the history behind each opportunity. This is VERY VERY BAD.

Can someone help me? 

Regards

Leo - leongaro@gmail.com 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: How to have a sales view not slave of an opportunity?

Hello Lenogaro,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

Without seeing your operation and knowing what is/isn't important, one suggestion would be:

- using the Opportunity tab, create an Opportunity for the individual purchase, with the Opportunity attached to desired contact

- name the individual Opportunity with a description of the purchase (ex: Chocolate Candy)

- customize the columns on your Opportunities tab to include the 'Create Date' or 'Actual Close Date'

A possible combination of columns would be 'Actual Close Date', 'Opportunity Name', 'Total', 'Status'

You may find other columns to add that will add further value to the view. 

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

As I understand it from your posting, you mainly used the opportunities in ACT! 2000 for customer/product tracking. Because the opportunities in ACT! 2000 were limited to a single product per opportunity, it worked very well for you. 

However, the single product per opportunity was seen by many as a serious limitation to the opportunities because for may they wanted to list multiple line items within a single opoortunity. For example, in ACT! 2000 opportunities something as simple as having a product and shipping costs couldn't be done in a sinple opportunity. The addition of allowing multiple line items within a single opportunity increased the flexibility of the opportunities but, it appears, has caused you problems.

Because ACT! 2010 opened upt the opportunites further and now allow significant flexibility of design, I beleive it would be possible th design the opportunity table and layout to better suit your needs to focus the oportunities more on product tracking. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hello Roy,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

One thing I am thinking from your post is that one should think just about fulfilling PURCHASE ORDERS. I see opportunities as complex sales, more like projects: someone asks you a system including harware sofware and services, you have to do a lot of estimates, integrate a lot of things, eventually use 3rd parties etc. A very personalized proposal, with a sales cycle of months. On the other hand, on a typical purchase order someone asks you some products that are available on the shelf: I want one of this, three of that etc.. It works like a customer placing an order at some e-commerce site. The customer "places" the products in a shopping cart and goes to checkout. Eventually the customer names that shopping cart and saves it for a later decision. The checkout guys do not name that order an opportunity, it is simply a purchase order number X of Mr Y. Another thing that´s commom in my business (and I guess hundreds like me) is the repetitive purchase order. Someone comes to ask me almost the same things on a certain frequency. For instance, I sell toner cartridges and the customer will ask for almost the same toner cartridges every week or every month and I just need to quickly see what I sold in the last orders, for what price and if I got the order or not. 

One idea of what could be shown on a Sales Tab:

Customer data

Tabs / Nono / Nono / Nono / Nono / Sales / ........

OPPORTUNITY  X (or purchase order x) closed on Aug, 28 Total $ 9999

Aug, 27 10 x Product A $ 10 total $ 100 won

Aug, 15 20 x Product B $ 15 total $ 300 won

OPPORTUNITY  Y (or purchase order y) closed on Mar, 15, total $ 8888

Mar, 10 10 x Product C $ 12 total $ 120 won

Mar, 10 20 x Product B $ 16 total $ 320 lost

This way in one screen w/o having to browse thru each opportunity one could be able to see all the placed orders while answering a new order. Sweet and simple like this!

Leo

Salience Brasil

ACT! Fan

leongaro@gmail.com

Platinum Elite Contributor

The default design of the opportunities in the ACT! program is much as what you described. However, with ACT! 2010, the opportunities have been mase so flexible that a simple or a more complex model could be defined. I recently modified the opportunities in an ACT! database for a client to accommodate tracking financial packages where the products area wasn't even used because each deal was unique. I'm sure that the ACT! opportunities could be modified to accommodate the way you need to work.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129