Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to handle multiple dates

How to handle multiple dates

Hi,

I work for a university which offers multiple 1 week courses for participants.

I am trying to import an excel file into ACT.

I have question about handling multiple dates.

E.g. A participant , John Smith inquired for a "Program A" on Jan 2010. This information is then entered into ACT. After a year the same participant inquires about the same Program A on Feb 2011. When I try to enter this information ACT will recognize it as a duplicate and will prompt me to either overwrite the data or merge the data.

I do not want to overwrite the data since I do not want to lose the Jan 2010 date. Hence I need to have a field which will store both the Jan 2010 as well as the Feb 2011 dates. How exactly can I do that in ACT.

If someone can throw light on this one, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

D

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to handle multiple dates

It sounds like you need to use custom one -to-many tables for that information. The capability is on the ACT! program but you need a third party plugin to provide the user interface. Both Topline Results and Durkin Computing make very good ones.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the reply Roy.

Is there a possibility to set the date as the primary key ?

Isnt ACT designed as a relational database?

Thanks,

D

Platinum Elite Contributor

Not for what you want. The ACT! database is relational between tables but within any one of the many tables that make up the database, the table itself is a flat file. This is what you're running into. The contact table  is related to other tables in the database such as group, company notes, etc. You have one-to-many relationships between the contact table and other tables in the datasbase and what you described, recording new information to a contact record while retaining the old information requires a one-to-many relationship between the contact table and that information you referred to. that can't be done within the contact table but can be done by linking a custom table for that information to the contact table. For that you need the third party plugin to design and manage the custom table.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129