Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to handle couples?

How to handle couples?

I am a born again ACT user.  I had a heavily customized ACT 2005 to manage an adoption agency.  Dealing with clients as two individuals was the biggest problem I had.  I couldn't create a hubby profile and wife profile.  If I spoke with the wife about an issue, if the husband called I wouldn't automatically see the notes from the call with the wife.  I would be frantically trying to remember the wife's name so I could review the issue.  If they were John Smith and Mary Jones it got tough.  Plus if BOTH of them wanted to get EVERY email I sent out, the ACT email system wouldn't do it.  One email per profile.  Plus even putting in the name of the contact was a pain.  Mary Smith and John Jones would often search like Mary Jones.  Obvious problems.

So I have a new business.  I am performing marriages.  Still dealing with couples.  Even worse, mother-in-laws to be.  Even worse, wedding planners.

At the time I customized ACT before, the COMPANY profile either wasn't available, or was just getting started and was very limited.  Is it any better now?  I was thinking of creating a company profile - John Smith and Mary Jones.  Then having John and Mary each being an "employee" of the company.  Then  I can put in Mom, the Wedding Planner, and the Photographer all as employees of the same wedding.

Does that make sense?  Is there a better way?  Was I a fool to return to ACT?

Looking for some advice before I start customizing.

Thanks!

PastorDave

Bronze Contributor

Re: How to handle couples?

[ Edited ]

Good morning Pastor Dave.

Using the company feature is a good way to organize like contacts.  And the nice thing is that when in the company view and you click eMail, it will go to all the "employees" of the company. 

Just give some thought on how you name the companies so that you will be able to find it later if the db grows to thousands of contacts. 

Additionally, you can add divisions to the companies.  One division could be anything you want, such as Wedding Event.  You can add the specific people to that division and if you wanted one of the company contacts included, they could be there too.  You would then send an eMail to the division people and just the "wedding Event" contact would get it. 

Since the Wedding Event could be considered short term, you might want to take advantage of Opportunities to organize elements of the wedding.  Just something to consider.

Hope that makes sense. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Platinum Super Contributor

Like John, I agree with the idea of using Companies (or Groups) to group the like contacts.

In addition, you may want to use the 'Relationship' tab within the contact detail screen. This tab will let you relate the contact records and identify the relationship, such as 'mother-in-law' or 'event planner'.

Since you are just setting this up, I think you have a lot of options available. For example: use ID/Status (or create a field) to identify all contacts associated with a specific marriage.

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

what you have is a case where relationships would be very useful. I would make each person an individual contact and then link them through relationships (Relationships tab). You are able to define the relationship, use hot links to jump to the individual contacts, add specific notes about the relatioship and even create a lookup of the related members. Check it out.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Contributor

Once I started using the relationship tab, I now can no longer live without it - but for how it applies to my work.

However, the one request I keyed on from the original post was that a group eMail was desired with a single click.  This can still be done using groups, but there are a lot of additional clicks. 

Just my 2 cents worth, but when offered, I generally get change.  Smiley Wink

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013