Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to handle columns in excel file when dealing with Multi-Select !

How to handle columns in excel file when dealing with Multi-Select !

Hi All,

I am trying to import data from a CSV file into ACT.

I have a field which allows Multi-Select option.

My drop down looks like

Check Box - Type A

Check Box - Type B

Check Box - Type C

Check Box - Type D

For a particular user, I want him to be a part of Type A, Type B, Type C

Inorder to do this, I have a column in CSV file called Types.  Under the Types column, I have separated my values with a ";"

When I upload my CSV file the first time, I am able to import this data correctly and my contact now has checks for boxes TypeA., Type B , Type C.

Going forward, I now want to Add Type D to my contact as well.

So my csv file now just has Type D for this particular contact. When I import this into ACT, ACT recognises a duplicate and tries to Merge (please note, I want it to merge, not overwrite). However, ACT does not accept Type D from my csv.

How can I do this ?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

D

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: How to handle columns in excel file when dealing with Multi-Select !

While you can merge data from an import into an empty field on an existing record, you can't merge field data from your source with existing data already in that field in ACT!

I don't know if you are manually editing the Excel file outside of ACT! or where that new data comes from that just has "Type D" in it, but you could:

- export the contact list (either the whole thing or just a lookup) to Excel, including the multi-select field and any fields you need to match on when you bring it back in (company, contact, phone, etc.)

- do an Edit, Replace and choose the multi-select field and make the value empty, this will blank it out (so you can bring data back in)

- edit the data in Excel

- import it back in

The key here is that you need to blank out the field in ACT! so you can import into it.  If you have to combine existing data with new data, you may need to do some Excel magic with the Concatenate() function to merge it together before spitting it back.

Hope that helps!

Len

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training