Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to encrypt database like Act

How to encrypt database like Act

Hello All,

When we first started using Act, we wanted to combine our data with data in Act for customized reports. We couldn't because the SQL database was private for Act only somehow.

We are writing a Windows application and including a SQL database that I would like to secure it like Act secured it's database.

Does anyone have any references that they could direct me to or let me know what I must do? I've searched for hours on this and haven't found a clear answer. A few "it can't be done" posts, but I know it can because Act did it.

Thanks for your help!!!

Max 

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: How to encrypt database like Act

If you are saying that you are ditching Act! because the SQL SA password is locked down, before going that route and losing all of the good things that Act! does, I would suggest that you do your homework on the Act! SA password or Act! reader utility since they will likely allow you to address the issue of the being able to read the Act! data in other applications.

That said, Act! 2010 has a new OLE dB reader that exposes pretty everything that you are likley to need via the OLE dB standard, inlcusive in the install.

Building an application/platform/database/<call it what you will> is ALWAYS much more difficult and challenging then initially thought (i.e. hoped for).

Platinum Elite Contributor

Not ditching Act. We are writing our own program for quoting and want to secure the tables of a SQL database. I haven't used the latest version of Act, I think the version we did use was in 2006... and it was a great tool. We automated the mailroom and had a plugin for workflows that helped us do it all. It rocked. I remember trying to tap into the tables with SQL Management studio and we couldn't.

Thanks,

Max 

No version of ACT! secured the SQL database in any special way.

You just need to obtain the ActReader or SA password utilities, which they don't make available for the non-Premium versions.

Copper Super Contributor

Mike: I don't get it.  If one needs to obtain an "SA Password" utility, isn't that because the data has been password protected, and a SysAdmin password is therefoer required in order to access the data?

You seem to be suggesting the data is not protected while at the same time confirming that special utilities are required in order to access the protected data.

Am I missing something here?

Luis

The SA Password is not required to access the data which is also available through ACT! and through the OLEDB interface. the SA pass is really only necessary to use corporate backup products.