Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to edit tab stops

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

How to edit tab stops

I'll like to change the order of the tab stops for the main contact layout, using layout designer. I've displayed the tab stops but am uncertain how to change the order.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author safetylockoutman
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: How to edit tab stops

[ Edited ]

After you display the tab stops, if you click a field that has a red number next to it (which indicates the current tab stop number/order assigned), you will remove the current assignment - blanking it out if your will, i.e. - it will no longer be in the list of fields in which a tab stop will happen.

Clicking a field that does NOT have an assigned number will then apply the next available tab stop number to it.

Example:  Say you click a field that is assigned "7".  You will then take tab stop #7 away from it, if you were to save the layout and make no other changes, this field would no longer have a tab stop - it would be "passed over".

However, if after taking the tab stop 7 away from that field, if you went to another field which had no tab stop, assuming that tab stops # 0-6 were already assigned, then this field just clicked would "recieve" assignment of the released stop #7.

If you have significant re-assigning/re-arrangment to do on a layout, it might well be that the best route is to simply click "Clear" from the Tab Stops Menu and assign them from the beginning on up.

NOTE:  Dealing with the tab stops is kind of different - as always when modifying your layout(s), be sure to do a "Save As" before making ANY changes in the event you get yourself into a bind.

Hope this helps and de-mystifies to some exten the whole Tab Stop "thing".

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author safetylockoutman
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

After you display the tab stops, if you click a field that has a red number next to it (which indicates the current tab stop number/order assigned), you will remove the current assignment - blanking it out if your will, i.e. - it will no longer be in the list of fields in which a tab stop will happen.

Clicking a field that does NOT have an assigned number will then apply the next available tab stop number to it.

Example:  Say you click a field that is assigned "7".  You will then take tab stop #7 away from it, if you were to save the layout and make no other changes, this field would no longer have a tab stop - it would be "passed over".

However, if after taking the tab stop 7 away from that field, if you went to another field which had no tab stop, assuming that tab stops # 0-6 were already assigned, then this field just clicked would "recieve" assignment of the released stop #7.

If you have significant re-assigning/re-arrangment to do on a layout, it might well be that the best route is to simply click "Clear" from the Tab Stops Menu and assign them from the beginning on up.

NOTE:  Dealing with the tab stops is kind of different - as always when modifying your layout(s), be sure to do a "Save As" before making ANY changes in the event you get yourself into a bind.

Hope this helps and de-mystifies to some exten the whole Tab Stop "thing".

Thanks for this solution. I have found that if you populate the 'Country' field before the Phone fields, it pre-sets the parameters of the phone format, i.e. placing the area code within parentheses. 

Great solution. Thanks.