Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to do a lookup on Act! 2011 PRO for contacts NOT associated with a group?

How to do a lookup on Act! 2011 PRO for contacts NOT associated with a group?

I am having difficulty going through my database trying to find contacts not associated with a group. I recently upgraded Act! to 2011 Pro and some of my subgroups did not successfully transfer over. This created contacts previously associated with a group to now be groupless. I want to change that.

How do I do a lookup/query/advanced query to find all contacts in my database NOT in a group?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Bronze Contributor

Re: How to do a lookup on Act! 2011 PRO for contacts NOT associated with a group?

Good evening SilverSha

I have an idea that could work if you don't have too many groups (otherwise one of the other members may give you a more sophisticated solution.)

First add a field to the contact record.  I would suggest a yes/no field.

Then step through each group and create a lookup.  For all the contacts in the created lookup, check the yes/no field.

When you are completed, do a lookup on the created field that is false and that should be all the contacts not in a group.

Of course, if you have hundreds of groups, this might not be the best solution.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit

Re: How to do a lookup on Act! 2011 PRO for contacts NOT associated with a group?

Thanks for the reply. I will give that a try. i have approximately 10 active groups so I can go through them relatively quickly....I hope.

One qustion, once I add the yes/no field and do a lookup in one group, can I populate the yes/no field all at once in that partincular lookup or do I need to go through each contact and click in the yes/no field?

Thanks again for your reply!

Mike

Bronze Contributor

Sure you can. 

Once you have the lookup, go to ....

| Edit |

| Replace Field |

>> Select the new field name <<

>> Check the box <<

>> Click OK <<

Remember, you may have a contact in more than 1 group.  For this process, don't worry about it.  If it is already checked, the field will remain checked.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit

Thank you!

I will give it a try later today. Simple enough....

Thanks!

Mike

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

If this is something you are going to long-term and often, you may want to look at an add-on called Advanced Lookup by Groups.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.