Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to do a lookup on Act! 2011 PRO for contacts NOT associated with a group?

How to do a lookup on Act! 2011 PRO for contacts NOT associated with a group?

I am having difficulty going through my database trying to find contacts not associated with a group. I recently upgraded Act! to 2011 Pro and some of my subgroups did not successfully transfer over. This created contacts previously associated with a group to now be groupless. I want to change that.

How do I do a lookup/query/advanced query to find all contacts in my database NOT in a group?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Bronze Contributor

Re: How to do a lookup on Act! 2011 PRO for contacts NOT associated with a group?

Good evening SilverSha

I have an idea that could work if you don't have too many groups (otherwise one of the other members may give you a more sophisticated solution.)

First add a field to the contact record.  I would suggest a yes/no field.

Then step through each group and create a lookup.  For all the contacts in the created lookup, check the yes/no field.

When you are completed, do a lookup on the created field that is false and that should be all the contacts not in a group.

Of course, if you have hundreds of groups, this might not be the best solution.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Re: How to do a lookup on Act! 2011 PRO for contacts NOT associated with a group?

Thanks for the reply. I will give that a try. i have approximately 10 active groups so I can go through them relatively quickly....I hope.

One qustion, once I add the yes/no field and do a lookup in one group, can I populate the yes/no field all at once in that partincular lookup or do I need to go through each contact and click in the yes/no field?

Thanks again for your reply!

Mike

Bronze Contributor

Sure you can. 

Once you have the lookup, go to ....

| Edit |

| Replace Field |

>> Select the new field name <<

>> Check the box <<

>> Click OK <<

Remember, you may have a contact in more than 1 group.  For this process, don't worry about it.  If it is already checked, the field will remain checked.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Thank you!

I will give it a try later today. Simple enough....

Thanks!

Mike

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

If this is something you are going to long-term and often, you may want to look at an add-on called Advanced Lookup by Groups.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.