Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to differentiate types of contacts in one database??

How to differentiate types of contacts in one database??

1. Please offer assistance on how to use one Act 2011  database to differentiate "new contacts" from "previously known contacts".

2. Must be able to generate a report which lists the "New Contact" name, company, date of appointment and result

3. Must I make the "new contacts" part of a group to accomplish this

4. What fields must be used to insure that a report can be generated.  I recall in older versions of act, it was necessary to have data in one of the activity fields (but I do  not remember which one) in order for a report to be generated.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: How to differentiate types of contacts in one database??

Hello ChemistDeb,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

There are multiple ways to identify a contact as 'New', but the most common is probably using a field value.  To make this as simple as possible, you can use the existing 'ID/Status' field and add a new value for 'New Contact'.  For each new contact, simply update the ID/Status accordingly.  You can then perform Lookups on the field for the value 'New Contact'. 

You can also create a new field (Tools > Define Fields) in which to add this value; this would be helpful if you are already using ID/Status for other data.

Once you have the data in a field, you can create Groups using Dynamic criteria to look for the field used > set to Contains > New Contact.  The contact would become a member of the Group automatically as soon as the value is added to the field, and would be removed from the Group when the value is removed.

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Contributor

Re: How to differentiate types of contacts in one database??

Good morning ChemisDeb.

Greg's response was acutally my first thought.  However, if you can use the date the contact is created in the db, then you can also search on the create date field.  For example you may want to find the contacts that have been created in the last 30 days or any time frame using advanced search.  BTW, the create field is in the "contact info" tab. 

Using the ID/Status field is good too, but then you have to keep updating it.  I use that field to help me with organizing why they are even in the db.  For example I use P1, P2, and P3 for quantifying the prospect value.   And of course, Customer, etc.

Hope this helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013