Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to determine which Version/SP installed if ACT!2010 won't open?

How to determine which Version/SP installed if ACT!2010 won't open?

Have ACT!2010 on Windows 7. How can I find which version/SP have installed? ACT! won't open due to "Resolution
of the dependency" issue. Found answers for Hot Fixes, but don't know if have SP1 installed. Worked fine until I changed "custom command"s for new "Write-Other Document"s. Should I just install SP1 assuming it is not installed? Most of my files in ACT on my computer are from 06/10 when I updated from older versions.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to determine which Version/SP installed if ACT!2010 won't open?

Hello kevinrbc,
Welcome to the ACT! Community. You can tell by looking at the file versions in the ACT! program folder. If you have ACT! 2010 (version 12), then there is no hot fix (the hot fix is for ACT! 2012 SP1, version 14.1). You will need to try the other solutions listed in the article - I would start with 'Run As Administrator', then try manually rebuilding preferences.

KB article 25865: http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2586...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Another way to tell the version... in Windows Explorer, go to:
C:\ProgramData\Sage Software, Inc\Sage ACT!

The folder with the highest number should be the build

Thank you so much!!! Have been searching the site for hours looking for help.

After I fix the "Resolution Dependency" isssue, should I import the SP1 and Hot Fix 5?

We always recommend applying the latest updates for your version to take advantage of the fixes and enhancements they provide.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you very much. Here goes!!

Kevinrbc -  I get this same  error message " Resolution of the dependancy"  and  ACT will no longer open.  I could neither repair nor re-install ACT afterwards. Fortunately, I created a computer image restore point and backed up all my ACT databases prior to attempting the update. I strongly recommend you do the same.  I tried the update using  the download file for ACT 2010  called " ACT2010SPIUS_Update_HF1.  I note that one of the other replies to you suggested the SP1 update  was not available until ACT2012.  If that is true then why are there downloadable SP1 updates for  ACT2010  along with  release notes?

Re: How to determine which Version/SP installed if ACT!2010 won't open & Answer ID 25865

Greig - There are two  SP1 update downloads  specified for ACT2010. One is  entitled "ACT2010SP1HF"  and the other is entitled  "ACT2010SP1US_Update_HF1"   One is the basic SP1 update to be installed if your current version of ACT is listed as Version 12.0.409.0 Hotfix 4.  The other  provides Hotfix 5 to the SP1 update Hotfix 4.    My ACT2010 on disk is  Version 12.0.409.0 Hotfix 3.  I was able to  successfully update this to Version 12.0.409.0 Hotfix 4 using one of the download programs listed on Sage ACT website.  This however was a  hotfix that precedes update to SP1, but is  necessary to proceed on to update to SP1 according to the notes providfed with the download.    Neither of the  downloadable SP1 updates produced a workable or openable version of ACT2010 on my Windows 7 32 bit computer.  The error message was either  "Resolution of the dependancy failed"  or "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation"  and could not be ignored. I could not open any ACT databases, nor could I repair, remove nor re-install ACT. Restart of my computer also  did not help.  My only option, short of paying an expert, or attempting the complicated steps you have recommended was to restore my computer to an earlier time prior to my attempt to update to SP1. The steps you have suggested in your answer ID 25865 for those of us who did not choose  to spend yet again on an update such as ACT2012 ( ver 14.0)  are both risky and complicated, and it is an outrage that SAGE does not own up to providing  support beyond the warranty period for ACT2010 users. Many of the SP1 bug fixes were, in fact,  promised new features in ACT2010 talked up by the sales department. But they did not work consistently, and the bug fixes were promised to me in convrersations with tech suypport  during the warranty period. .  However, these problems  were not fixed and the features were therefore not available until ACT2012 was released, and warranties had expired.  I've already paid for 4 upgrades and do not rrequire  any new features beyond ACT2010. My minimal expectation is that through this ACT Community forum, and participating Sage experts,  a reasonably uncomplicated  set of instructions.... one that does not require a professional IT person.... or placing one's entire computer at risk,  should be made available so that one has the features originally advertised  via the SP1 update of ACT2010.