Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to create a copy of my ACT! 2007 database....

How to create a copy of my ACT! 2007 database....

[ Edited ]

I have  inherited ACT (we use ACT 2007 Premium for Web) from our old IT person.  I need to make a copy of the database and put it on another machine (for a backup).  Every time I try to copy the .adf file, it won't let me.  Can anybody tell me how to create a copy of my database?  Thanks.

T

Silver Contributor

Re: How to create a copy of my ACT! 2007 database....

use File, backup as the first choice.  If you want to use it on the other machine, I'd set up sync. SQL keeps the databasea open so just copying the files is not reccomended and probably wont work unless you stop SQL

To restore a backup on the other machine, choose file, restore, Restore AS and give the database a name.  Keep in Mind that you should not use both databases unless you set up sync as it's sometimes difficult to get the data reconciled again.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Re: How to create a copy of my ACT! 2007 database....

Good morning Jon,

I am not able to use File>Database>Backup.  I've tried saving on another server as well as on the same server (C:\Documents and Settings\tcooper\My Documents\ACT\ACT For Web\Backup\ACT! EQ_Master.zip) with the same results.  When I try that suggestion, I get the error listed below.  My new IT person shut down the SQL and made a copy on another server.  However, this copy is linked to the original.  I would like to manually sync by selecting "Synchronize Now" so that I have 2 existing copies (and can be edited independent of each other) in case one of the servers die.  Right now, "Synchronize Now" is greyed out.  So I'm assuming we did something wrong.  Thank you for your help.

T

Error:

The following error occurred during backup.  The backup was cancelled.

Access to the path '\\PHOENIX\EQ_MASTER-database files2\Backup\PHOENIX_EQ_Master_D20121116T101129.BAK' is denied.