Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to convert my ACT6 db to ACT2010 or newer on vista 32bit os -- getting error msg

Nickel Elite Contributor

How to convert my ACT6 db to ACT2010 or newer on vista 32bit os -- getting error msg

[ Edited ]

OK I been reading and trying, but where is the magic white rabbit that is apparently also required? I have act6 and act2010 pro installed on a vista 32bit os and still can not get restore or restore-as to work - error msg - the file i am attempting to restore does not contain an act backup. Of course this is not true as I just created the backup from ACT6 on vista pc. so what is the REAL Procedure for converting your act6 databases into a newer version of ACT!. Oh yeah it has to be a 32bit os not a 64 bit os.. I'm trying to get it up to ACT2011 or 2012 status.. Do I need to pay someone to do this simple little thing for me?

When I use ACT2010 pro to OPEN the ACT6 db, I get error msg : error accessing or processing a pad file.

Help - Wrestling with this off and on now for toooo many days- ps my custom db has 75k records- Thanks - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to convert my ACT6 db to ACT2010 or newer on vista 32bit os -- getting error msg

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: How to convert my ACT6 db to ACT2010 or newer on vista 32bit os -- getting error msg

Bill -

The process of converting an ACT! 6 database to 2010/11/12 is pretty straighforward - assuming that the copy of the ACT! 6 database is not messed up:

Open ACT! 20xx and select Open Database from the file menu.

In the dialog box, change the file type to ACT! 6 and then browse to the location of that database.

This will kick off the convert wizard and create a new 20xx database based on the data in the ACT! 6 database.

As Mike alludes to, you cannot restore an ACT! 6 database using ACT! 20xx.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Nope that didn't work. But I was Successful - So here is what I did to resolve. Need plenty of Ram memory.

Used my Sage Silver Partner Support to make call to Sage Support - Two day process - Bottom line is I needed to run SageACT.exe for  ACT!2010 in Compatability mode for Win-XP SrvcPk3

Below are more detailed procedures  of my process. Must be done on 32bit os(not 64 bit) for ACT6 to install/run.

==

HOW TO CONVERT ACT!6 DATABASE TO ACT2010 PRO VERSION 12.1.181.0 HOTFIX 5 VISTA HOME PREMIUM 32BIT OS 12072011
ACT6 and ACT2010 Pro are installed on same Vista Home 32bit pc
Goto Program files ACT! folder where ACT6 is installed
Run the actdiag.exe for ACT6 (NOT ACTDIAG for ACT2010)
Maintenance
Check DB Integrety
Repair db
 Note: All checkmarks must be green. If any non-green checkmarks, run the process again and possibly a third time. It took me two passes.
Then all checkmarks are green so open desired ACT6 db using ACT!6 and Select option to Re-index db when asked. (Msg re Indexes missing)

Now Then for ACT2010, locate the ACTSAGE.exe and right mouse click, select Properties, Compatability tab - select box - Run in Compatability mode for Win-XP service pack3
 Found in Vista -   C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows
-- remove this setting when conversion process is complete.  ---

Now when you open ACT!2010 and open desired ACT!6 database and conversion wizard should work fine.
Go to desired folder and in lower right corner of window select desired file type so you will see the desired ACT!6 db.
Remember to also convert to extra file items, layouts, templates, reports etc after conversion successful.

Took me 3+ hours to convert with over 76,000 Contact records.

== Thanks for the help - Merry Christmas - Cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Bronze Super Contributor