Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to change the main user on a copied DB

How to change the main user on a copied DB

I just stareted with a company and received a NIB copy of ACT and a copy of another users DB - which I have actually updated to the 10.0 that I received (his version is older).

The DB will not let me (second user) to log in - I have to login as the person that created the db.  License restriction "There are not enough licenses....."

I did sucessfully or add a record for myself and added it to the Users list as admin.

Since I am then logged in as "user #1" I can not de-activate "user #1"

Any help on this would be great.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to change the main user on a copied DB

Only another Admin user can deactivate an existing user's record and since you have only 1 license you will be unable to do this.  There are 2 options:

1) You can edit the user information and contact record for the existing Admin account...change to your username and change the associated contact record to your info.  If you don't want to lose the info for the existing contact, then you can duplicate the record first.

2) Call into ACT! Technical Support to use their internal password utility to manually deactivate the current admin user and activate yours.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

In option 1 - what will happen to the record associations ( record manager, events etc.) to the original user (we are planning seting up to synchronize once everyone upgrades to the same version)

Platinum Elite Contributor

With 1 - they will change. As per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/6rv9un

Another option is, if you have additional licenses, add them and then create a new user for yourself as an admin and log in with the new user.