Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to change database user for "1 user licence" ?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

How to change database user for "1 user licence" ?

Hi all,

we came across the situation that the only colleague in our company who uses Act! is leaving, so we need to change the user who will further perform her duties, including any Act! related tasks. However it doesn't seem as easy as we thought- although it was possible to create another user under Tools > Manage users, it wasn't possible to allow the new user to gain access to database (due to licence limitation) and it wasn't possible to make the current user Inactive since the radio buttons on Logon Access page are disabled (greyed out).

Your advise on soltution for this issue will be appreciated. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author arturs
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to change database user for "1 user licence" ?

The workaround here would be:

- Duplicate the contact record (My Record) for the current user

- Go back to original contact record for the user (the one you duplicated) and change the primary information (name, phone, email, etc) to match that of the new user

- Go into Tools/Manage Users and change the username/password to match the new user

*You can go ahead and delete the second user you created since you won't be able to use it without an additonal license

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

You can't be logged into ACT! with the user login you want to change to inactive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

Just a shot in the dark here, but can you not just edit the user name, password, etc?
Bronze Super Contributor

That is a dilemma...

I wonder if you could create the second login in the database (be sure they are also admin), create a backup of the database using the currently active (former employee) login.

Do a restore as, save the database to a new name and when it asks what user login to use so as to restore, use the newly created login...?

This would maintain all of the existing histories, etc., without the complications or data inconsistencies present with changing the existing user record to a new name...

Barring this, changing the name would seem to be the alternative.

Solution
Accepted by topic author arturs
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

The workaround here would be:

- Duplicate the contact record (My Record) for the current user

- Go back to original contact record for the user (the one you duplicated) and change the primary information (name, phone, email, etc) to match that of the new user

- Go into Tools/Manage Users and change the username/password to match the new user

*You can go ahead and delete the second user you created since you won't be able to use it without an additonal license

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you everybody for helping out- starting with Willardv who's idea was great and ending with ghollister who put everything together. I couldn't believe that solution can be so easy Smiley Wink Thanks again.
Astute Commentator

We have a 4 user licence and just replaced a former employee.  We need him to use the licence that was in the former employee's user name. 

Just a question, and it might sound silly but when I followed your instructions below I created the duplicate contact.  I was confused about which one was the original and which was the dup.  How can I tell which one to delete as they both appear the same?  Also, I must have done something incorrectly because in my first try when I changed the primary details to the new user it changed all of the past history to the new name and that is what I am trying to avoid.  So I changed it back to the old user name.

I could only change the user name but not the contact name in the end.

Issue still unresolved.

Are you able to help?

Tracy

Dear Tracy, it is true that all previous records will change as if they were created by the new user however we didn't find that disturbing. Regarding the duplicate contact- actually, I managed without creating it- we just edited and adjusted the name/surname (from Contacts menu) and a username (from Manage Users tool) to match the new one.

Tracy,

First do a lookup for just the old contact record. Then duplicate it. Then in the contact list view add the Create Date field column (Options/Customize Columns)...the duplicate record will have today's date. The for the old contact, add something to the name, such as "old" or a number so you can tell it apart from the duplicate. And yes, all the record manager/record creator information will change when you change the original record, but that is unavoidable.

Greig Hollister

I am new to Sage, and as user friendly as it appeared (which excited me), I now know that when I created the very first contact in my database, Act automatically placed her as the administrator and it is causing me all sorts of problems (I have officially wasted over an hour of my time with no resolution)... Something so simple has gotten so complicated... I am sure there is a very easy solution to this... but what?

to re-cap:

I am on Act ver. 11

my first contact (who doesn't even work for me and probably doesn't even know what Sage Act is) is listed as administrator

I read only that I could go to "Lookup", then click "My Record" and change her information to my information... which I did

Now when I go to "Lookup" and "My record" it is my information that shows instead of her information

When i log out of the software and then go back into the software I still have to type "Jakki" and my password

If I try to type my name (Which I added to "My Users" under "Tools" previously by making me an administrator) and my password, it says I do not have enough licenses to do it, yet when I went into manage users previously there was no way to delete "Jakki" as a user or administrator period...

I have been "trying" to go back to "Tools" and "My Users" to see if I could delete "Jakki" and assign me as the administrator but there are many things grayed out and "My Users" is one of them.

This is very troubling to me... and I'm very frustrated... Any assistance you could provide me on how to "uncomplicate" this simple situation would be much appreciated...