Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to append information to a field without overwriting what is already there

How to append information to a field without overwriting what is already there

We send out mailings to our clients. To keep track of who has received which mailings I would like to be able to append information to a field. Replace does not work since it overwrites what is already there.

So for example, if I have a field called Mailings, I would like to be able to lookup a group and add mailing04 to a field in such a fashion that a Mailings field might look like this:

mailing02

mailing03

mailing04

Many thanks for any suggestions.

ACT! Premium 2011 Version 13.1.111.0

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to append information to a field without overwriting what is already there

That would require a custom add on program. I don't know if such an add on program exists but you  can check the ACTaddons.com site

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: How to append information to a field without overwriting what is already there

[ Edited ]

Hi Juan Carlos,

Melville-Schellmann is offering a tool which is part of our Addon-suite"Act! +" called ACTReplace.

This tool allows to add/replace whatever you want in an Act! field, optionally preserving existing content.

Details here:

http://www.melville-schellmann.de/m_actoptimum_funktion_actreplace.htm

Use the Google translate button...;-)

-- Kind regards,

Andreas Schlesselmann  

Melville-Schellmann GbR

Bogenstrasse 28

22926 Ahrensburg Germany

phone.: +49-4102 - 80 365 - 0

fax: +49-4102 - 80 365 - 20

Email: as@actsoftware.de www.melville-schellmann.de

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Platinum Elite Contributor

You really need to think about why you're trying to do this, and how you want to use the data.
Eventually, you;ll likely run out of room in the field, which makes the method of always appending have a set limit in the life of the product

Many thanks for your help with this issue,

Many thanks for this recomendation

Thanks for your help, we have come up with a workaround.