Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to add contacts to a group when in the task list?

How to add contacts to a group when in the task list?

I have 2 main problems that I would be grateful of help with:

1) I am working my way down the task list doing some call backs with prospective customers. During the phone calls many of the prospective customers become customers and need to be added to my various groups assigned to customers. Normally when adding contacts to a group I have setup a shortcut which throws up the box "add contacts to Group / Company" The problem is this shortcut does not seem to work when in the task list. This makes my task very long winded as I have to use the mouse and add the contact to a group. Does anyone know why the shortcut does not work in the task list? Is there a workaround for this?

2) There is also a really annoying problem with the task list. If I want to view a contacts history before phoning them I must click on the contact in the task list to bring up their contact card. If I then want to go back to the task list to phone other contacts I have to press "back" which has the effect of taking me back to the task list but my place is lost in the list (the contact at the top of the list is now highlighted). This is no fun if you have a task list of a few hundred names for the day. It means manually finding the last name. When double clicking on a contact to view their business card / history from the contact list I never have this problem - as my last viewed contact is always highlighted when I press back. How do I set this up in the task list so it behaves in the same way, defaulting to the last contact viewed?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to add contacts to a group when in the task list?

Hello marada,

To answer your questions:

1) When the Task List is pulled, the activities table is being accessed, not the contact table, so the add to group option will not work as activities cannot be added to a group. To add a contact to group from the task list, click the contact link to bring up their record, then right-click on their record and select "Add Contact to Group" (or click the shortcut you made from the contact's record)

2) I have also observed this with the Task List and will report it to our developers. A workaround would be to use the daily or weekly calendar. You can go to a contact from the calendar view, and when you click the Back button and go back to the calendar, the last activity you were on is still highlighted.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello marada,

It looks like the details of your last post did not display. This is due to you using Internet Explorer 9 as your browser, which is not yet fully supported by this forum. You will either need to put IE9 into IE8 compatibility mode for this site or use another browser, then resubmit the post. We look forward to hearing from you.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greig

In respect of 1 - don't you think adding contacts to a group in this way is very time consuming when in the Task list? This is especially true if you want to add a few contacts to a group when in the Task list. Surely a simple right click would be much quicker? Is there any way you could get your developers to look into this?

Also I feel with the new act versions there has been a step back in some respects. In ACT 6.0 it was possible to drag and drop contacts when in the group’s tab, however in newer versions you can't do this. I have seen many people ask for this feature to be bought back - are there any plans to do this? The lack of this facility has got me thinking about alternative solutions from other competitors.

With regards to question 2 - thank you for raising this issue with your developers.