Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to Update a Field by Export/Iimport on Multiple Contacts

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to Update a Field by Export/Iimport on Multiple Contacts

I would like help on updating a field in multiple contacts.  

The data to be updated is the company field by adding three letters in front of the company name.

The company will not be linked to a company in the Companies Table and there will be multiple and different company names to be changed.

So, for example the company name may be

Company Name                          New Company Name

ACT Global Services                  NLT ACT Global Services

CRM Solutions                           NLT CRM Solutions

The list could be 10 to 100 at a time as a result of updating bounced eMails.

The plan would be to export the company name, merge the NLT to the front of the name, then import it back into the original contact.

It seems to me I've seen this explained in the forum, but couldn't find anything on how to do it or a reference to a KB article.  

Many thanks for any assistance.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 20.0.159
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 1TB HDD.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎04-08-2019 12:15 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to Update a Field by Export/Iimport on Multiple Contacts

To get the GUID, there's the free Contact GUID2Field from https://www.keystroke.ca/en/apps/our-free-act-plugins.html

Why do you want to change the company name, rather than having a checkbox next to the Company name and just ticking it?

If that doesn't work, and you want to do it cheaply (and don't need to do it too often), if you add the NLT to a new field, on the same link above, see: "Koncatenator" and "Append to Field"

If you need to do this regularly and prefer it automated, I usually use itImport, which can look for the source file and update Act! data as well as appending the content

View solution in original post

All Replies

Act! Import won't update a field with data in it. Also, if not exporting another field that ben be a unique match, you can't bring the data into the correct records.
There are quite a few add-ons that can do this.

Why not add a new field and update that for those that bounced, instead of changing the companies?
Bronze Super Contributor

As always, thanks Mike.

Responding to your first question - Exporting a unique field would not be a problem, but the first thought I had was to use the record ID which I though we had no access.   It seems that it can't be done if there is data already in that field.  For this particular use, it would be OK to replace the data.  But I'm not sure what would be a good record ID to use.

Which add-ons would you recommend?

======================================================================================================================

Responding to question #2 - Adding a new field is an option then swap the company field with that field, but I'm now back to the first question.  Are there instructions in ACT to import data into an existing record?

As always, thanks for your reply.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 20.0.159
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 1TB HDD.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎04-08-2019 12:15 PM

To get the GUID, there's the free Contact GUID2Field from https://www.keystroke.ca/en/apps/our-free-act-plugins.html

Why do you want to change the company name, rather than having a checkbox next to the Company name and just ticking it?

If that doesn't work, and you want to do it cheaply (and don't need to do it too often), if you add the NLT to a new field, on the same link above, see: "Koncatenator" and "Append to Field"

If you need to do this regularly and prefer it automated, I usually use itImport, which can look for the source file and update Act! data as well as appending the content