Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to Trigger Emails when act field is changed?

How to Trigger Emails when act field is changed?

Was wondering if anyone out there has encountered any addons or written triggers that will accomplish the task of triggering an email to be send when a field is changed.  I have a checkbox that when it is marked as "true" I would like an email to be sent behind the scene.  The email would be a pre-created template that would pull a few fields from the contact record and send it to a specific predetermined user of the act database.  Does anyone out there know if this can be done?
Many Thanks
Nickel Contributor

Re: How to Trigger Emails when act field is changed?

That's too complex.  You could asign a hotkey to open the e-mail,  but then again, the hotkey might not work.

-P
Nickel Contributor

Forgot one more thing..

You need the pointer/mouse to escape the field itself for the trigger to work.  ACT's trigger works in it's dropdown for it's dasboard(to change it's dashboard layouts). Funny it doesn't work in the layout.  You have "leave the field" for it to trigger anything.

Have fun!

-P
Nickel Contributor

Biznettech,

I have a solution for you, but it will cost you $39.99.  Go to www.macroexpress.com.  Try the 30 day trial of the macro program. 

What you're gonna have to do is to create a small button on the right of the program.  Have the button trigger the playable macro or of course you could use the "sometimes working, sometimes not" field trigger ACT! has installed in their field properties.

Since ACT! will not allow or does not want to have a "real auto trigger" for the field,  you have to have that additional annoying step, to either:

1) exit the field by clicking somewhere else on the layout to trigger the ACT! field trigger. ACT's field trigger will cause your playable macro to open Outlook( you need an Outlook command to just open a single instance of outlook if Outlook is not open),  The macro can capture the info in the e-mail field and other fields in that same layout.  You then need to auto fill the spaces needed in the Outlook e-mail WITH the macro.  This macro will paste what you captured on the field into the needed fields in a split second.

2) After that,  the macro can be staged to hit the "send button" and viola!  Yes, it will be a split second that you see the Outlook instance open up and disappear,  but hey it's better to pay $39.95 one time than anything else out there.  I think with the new ACT! version, it will make the action a 'history" in your history tab, but hey i only have 2007.  Next year I MIGHT spend on the 10.0 version,  but only when the coast is clear.

3) if you want to use the Macro Express only and no button next to the field or no ACT! field trigger defined in their fields,  you can do that with Macro Express by simply clicking on the field!  I can show you how no problem and i won't even charge you for it.

It's my gift to you.

-P
Platinum Elite Contributor