Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to Test Backup Files

How to Test Backup Files

Hi, I've been doing backups on our database for a while (which has come in handy a few times!), but I am wondering if there is a good way to test backup files to make sure they are working properly and that they are not corrupt. I have had experience with our remote databases only being able to be restored 1 time, and I'm afraid if I restore a backup that I would not be able to do it again later if I needed to.

Also, does it make any difference with how the SQL server functions if I restore a backup once a month to check it? I am assuming if I went in afterwards and deleted the database it would be OK, but I think if we left the restored databases in there it would cause issues with how well our main database runs from day to day. Any suggestions or best practices? Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to Test Backup Files

Do a Restore As. That will force you to use a different name for the database and then you can check the quality of the backup.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Does the Restore As make a copy of the backup or leave the files so that they can be restored again?

It leaves the backup file, it simply extracts the database from the backup file.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

You can use Restore_As to restore the backup with a different name, to a different folder, or even to another machine.

If using the scheduler to automate backups, you should check the logs from time-to-time as it doesn't want if it's failed.

See: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2012/12/taking-your-act-on-holiday.html