Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to Change the Code in Web Info for Facebook Page Search

How to Change the Code in Web Info for Facebook Page Search

Web Info for facebook  is set default to search for the CONTACT. I want the facebook search to find the COMPANY page. Any idea how to change the code to look for a PAGE not the person? I changed the field parameters to say Contact Company but Facebook wants to only look for a person with a company name attached. I was able to change the Google link to look for news about the company not the contact, but Facebook, as usual is not as easy.

Thanks!

Employee

Re: How to Change the Code in Web Info for Facebook Page Search

I think it would look like:

http://www.facebook.com/srch.php?wk={Company}

That does a search for people who work for the company in the company field.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Not looking for the contact....looking for the company page. That is where Facebook wants me to look, like I am looking for someone who works for that company. I want the company page to come up.

So if the contact was joe smth and he owned Starbucks, I want to go to facebook and see Starbucks Page.

Tried the new code. It only looks for PEOPLE. So if a business page is set up wrong as a person, it will find. It won't find the business "page."

Its a step in the right direction, as it referenences that field. BUT it only looks for people still.

Still looking for a solution. What a pain. I want to see if that business has a facebook site and I have to go through hoops. There has to be a correct code to tell Facebook to search for a PAGE. Not someone who works for the company or that contact's personal page.

Employee

I'll be the first to admit my lack of facebook savvy.  When I got to search on FB, the Search by Company section only gives me the option to search for coworkers. It may not be possible to do a URL search for companies.

The URL for the Home Depot page is:

http://www.facebook.com/srch.php#!/homedepot?ref=ts

We could change it so that homedepot is replaced by the company name in act, but I dont' think it'd find the company every time. In fact the time's it would fail would likely be when the companyname doesn't match verbatim the name thnmey use on their facebook page. Contacts avoid this by doing a search ( nm={Contact}), but as far as i can tell FB's URL's don't make it possible to do this for companies.

HTH.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

It works if the business has set up a personal page. But you are correct.  Facebook is becoming such a huge thing in networking, I would think that the programmers at ACT and Facebook developers might want to talk in how to make this function. It would be a huge tool (in my opinion) if it worked like it was designed for the individual..but brought back info for the company field.

When I search for a company in the search field within ACT (facebook tabbed window) It even messes up. Keeps wanting a person. It works great that way.