Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to Add contacts in an existing group to another group in ACT 2010

Master Commentator

How to Add contacts in an existing group to another group in ACT 2010

Hi,

In ACT 2009, in the groups detail view, I was able to select some contacts in a group and add them to another group by selecting the options "groups - - >group membership - - > add selected to group". This would open the Add Selected contacts to group dialog box, which let me select the group that I wanted to add the contacts to.

In ACT 2010, these menu options and dialog box are not there and I haven't been able to find a way to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Re: How to Add contacts in an existing group to another group in ACT 2010

I just tested ACT! 2009 and it functions the same way in ACT! 2010.  Both versions have the option mentioned.
Master Commentator

hi david,

i went back and re-checked, i do not see the group membeership option on the groups menu in act 2010.

the "add selected group" option is not on the groups menu either.

when you look on the groups menu, can you tell me the options that you have?

these arre the options on my group menu - new group, new subgroup, duplicate, delete, edit group access, create lookup, new group note, new group history, attach, move group, convert to company, add/remove contacts

these options are on the shortcut menu in the groups detail view, but if you select (highlight) more than one contact record before selecting these options on the shortcut menu, act only keeps the first one. By this I mean if you select 4 contact records and then select these options on the shortcut menu only one of thhe 4 records that you selected will be added to the group.

thank you

tracy

Hi, I have the same problem. I have a very large group that I now need to break down in subgroups (in my case I need to break down the members of the group in country groups). As Tracy says the only way to move contacts from the main group to a sub is one by one; if you select a number of contacts then the selection disappears when you do a right mouse-click and you only copy one record. My group contains 1,500 members, so I really do not want to do this one by one.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Kees

And of course 3 minutes later I do find the solution!

When looking at you group members, select "Groups" and the "Create Lookup". All of your groupmembers appear in the lookup. Now make a selection, right mouse-click and select "add contacts to a group", select the subgroup (or other group) and away you are!

Good luck!

Copper Elite Contributor

The Option you want in the groups menu is the last one "Add/Remove Contacts" pictured here << Groups Menu >> 

which opens the subsequent dialog box. The better way to manage group membership however is to use dynamic

queries instead.  Save manual additions/deletions to group membership as a last resort.  

For example, if you defined a particular subgroup membership on the Company and city fields from the contact

table using a Lookup, ACT! will automatically maintain that membership.  If a company relocates to another city

just do an edit-replace on the city field and update the group membership query and the membership updates

automatically.  This can be done in a few minutes.  The ID/Status field is frequently used in dynamic queries to

populate group membership.   

For more information regarding group membership see KB#12864 or the ACT! 2010 Quickstudy Guide starting

on page 263.  You can use the demo database to follow along the examples from the book.

Thanks. I've been workign with a similar issue, however I have a group of about 3000 names, of which I want to remove abotu 300 which are all in one state. I've tried to remove them as a set from a the existing group several ways but haven't had any luck - any thoughts?