Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How the heck to I open a Premium database with Standard software?

How the heck to I open a Premium database with Standard software?

My company has ACT installed on multiple machines...I think 10 licenses...and it's the premium edition. I've exported a piece of the shared database by backing it up, moving it to another machine, restoring it as a new database. However, the machine I'm attempting to open the database on has Act2010 STANDARD Edition and won't open the database. Is there a work around?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: How the heck to I open a Premium database with Standard software?

Hello Eyeflytwo,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

Assuming the database originated in ACT! 2010 or an earlier version, you can use the newly released version of the ACTDIAG utility to convert a Premium formatted database to Standard.  Here is a link to the article with instructions for using the new ACTDIAG utility: KB Article 27607

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks Greg!

After I downgrade from Premium to standard on the machine that has the Premium Edition, I need to backup the database to be able to move it to the machine that is running Standard.  When I try to do that my Premium edition wants to upgrade back to Premium.  What to do???

Platinum Elite Contributor

You need to be using the same version ... either Pro or Premium. They can't share a database.
Platinum Super Contributor

Once you have created the downgraded database, you can create a copy of it (back it up) manually.  To do this:

- close ACT!

- click on Windows Start button > if XP, select 'Run' > if Vista/Windows 7, use 'Search' field

- enter 'services.msc' > hit enter key

- in Services window > locate 'SQL Server (ACT7)' > right click on it and select 'Stop'

- once stopped, you can manually copy the database files to relocate to the other machine.  You will need to copy the ADF, ALF, and 'Database File' folder.  You will not need the PAD file.

- place files on other machine > open the database using the ADF file (it will recreate the PAD for you).

- on the original machine > after copying the files, right click on the SQL Server (ACT7) service and select 'Start'.

- once started, ACT! can be launched on the original machine

Greg Martin
Sage