Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How should I secure documents? How secure is my database?

Copper Contributor

How should I secure documents? How secure is my database?

Thank you for reading this question.  I am new to ACT!, but technically capable (e.g. SQL, C#, etc.)

I have a password on my SageACT! database, which I assume is encrypted by SQLServer.  Is that correct?

What about my documents (e.g. the Documents tab on the Contact screen).  They are accessible to anyone because they are just stored on the hard drive in a folder.  How should I secure them? 

I am running Sage ACT! Premium 2011 Version 13.1.111.0, Hot Fix 4, Windows 7.

TIA

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How should I secure documents? How secure is my database?

The SQL isn't encrypted. But is only available if someone has access to the server.

Re the doc.... are you trying to protect them from non-ACT! users?
Bronze Contributor

Your documents are only as secure as your system as they are stored in a folder under the database files folder.

To secure correctly you would need to make sure no external source can get to the folder

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

Thank you.  I assumed that, if a password were required, then the database would be encrypted.

To protect the data from prying eyes, would it be best to put the entire database, including attachments folder, in an encrypted container?  If so, how would that best be done?  Could I just back up the Database and Personal Files, then delete the original data, then restore them to a location in the encrypted container?  If so, how do I specify the destination container to be the default location?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Not sure if you can ... I've never tried it.

But... the question I first asked: Who are you trying to protect from?
This will determine what options you might need to look at
Copper Contributor

I am merely trying to be prudent with data that may be confidential.  I do not have a specific opponent to protect the data from.