Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How long can the file name for an ACT Database be? Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.1.111.0

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

How long can the file name for an ACT Database be? Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.1.111.0

How long can the file name for an ACT Database be in Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.1.111.0?

I am asking because I tried to import a database from a friend with an older version of ACT into the version above and it said the file name was too long.

My currrent working filename is 13 letters long. When I back it up, I am adding  "_072511"  to it, using whatever the current date is as the numbers.

This would be making my backup filenames 20 letters long.

Is this going to be a problem in the new version of ACT? Does it allow for long filenames?

Thank you,

Poweruser

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author poweruser
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How long can the file name for an ACT Database be? Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.1.111.0

[ Edited ]

The maximum length for a database name in 2011 is 32 characters, and can consist of only letters, numbers, and underscores. When you create a new database, this is stated at the top of the new database dialog box. This is just the database name itself - you still have the Windows limitation of 260 characters for the fully qualified filepath for the database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Contributor

Re: How long can the file name for an ACT Database be? Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.1.111.0

The process if importing the database from the older version would be to convert that database to the new version (just open it up), then do the import into your current database. You may be getting this error because the two database versions are different.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Astute Commentator

Thank you Jon Klubnik.

Before I close the thread, I would also like to know how long can the file name be in ACT version 13?

Poweruser

Solution
Accepted by topic author poweruser
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

The maximum length for a database name in 2011 is 32 characters, and can consist of only letters, numbers, and underscores. When you create a new database, this is stated at the top of the new database dialog box. This is just the database name itself - you still have the Windows limitation of 260 characters for the fully qualified filepath for the database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Astute Commentator

Thank you John and Greig.

Copper Super Contributor

Just a quick addition:

Since Windows 7/Server 2008R2, the max number of characters is 32 767.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#maxpath

Copper Super Contributor

Err sorry, forgot to mention that is the limitation for Windows file path, not ACT!.