Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do you sync Outlook/ACT phone extension

Copper Contributor

How do you sync Outlook/ACT phone extension

Does anyone know how to sync the phone extension field using the Outlook Sync Service in ACT 2012? Seems kind of silly that you can't do it by default. What good is a business phone number, if you don't know the extension???

NOTE: Please do not respond "Buy Handheld Contact". This question is for native sync support.

Thanks,

Dan

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How do you sync Outlook/ACT phone extension

It's not an option ... and the Outlook sync isn't really designed to sync to mobile phone it will invariably cause issues that way (doesn't include country code either)

Handheld Contact will export to the native address books on the phone for the purpose of callerID
Copper Contributor

I'm not even worried about syncing to a mobile device. Just want to sync the phone extension field between ACT and Outlook. Seems almost silly that it's not an option and should be a pretty basic function out of the box. It gets very frustrating when every other answer to a client is "buy an add-on for every user".

Any chance someone out there has a clever solution for this?

Copper Contributor

It doesn't look like it. If you enter a phone number into Outlook and put a space then an "x" and a number, Outlook automatically looks at it as an extension. You can double-click the phone number and see how the extension is seperated out (similar to checking how a contact name is split-up in ACT).

The weird thing is that I can't find anyway to seperate the extension from the phone field in Outlook. Even doing an export from Outlook to Excel leaves the extension in the same field, but at the end of the phone number.

Seems like there has to be a way to map that "hidden" Outlook phone extension field to the phone extension field in ACT.

The problem is that, in Outlook, it's one field... not a hidden field.

The program looks for the X and handles it that way.

This is one of the reasons that sync'ing to Outlook causes so many problems.
Copper Contributor

I am hoping there is a way to get around it. Kind of like how the Contact field in ACT is one field, but you can seperate first and last name.

I know making the phone field in ACT a text field allows the extension to come over as part of the phone field. But that's not a good solution. Creates more problems than it solves.

I can't think of an option around it now...

Are you looking to dial from Outlook?