Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do you increase a field size

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

How do you increase a field size

If the field (e.g. contact field) has previous information lets say; i have pre-set it to 20 characters. How do I later increase the number of characters to 50 without configuring the previous information in that field?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Francine Joseph
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: How do you increase a field size

Francine,

in your edit meny you have a few choices: You can Replace, Copy or Swap the content of any field, these options will let you do it for your current lookups, so there is no need to copy and paste individually.

Jorge

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

Select;

Tools

Define Fields

From the drop down of field names available, double click on the character field name you wish to increase size of, to edit that fields properties.

When you click Next, the next screen will show the size of that character field and you can increase that nummber and click Finish.

Note: Always take backups of your ACT! database before making major changes..

Cheers - Bill

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html

Hi Bill,

I did the increase of characters in the define field and before I confirmed the procedure; a message prompts stating that changes to the field lengthy may result in the loss of data and cannot be undone. The following settings will be reset: Link to Company field and Link to Contact Field.

Will there be a major loss of data?

Regards,

Francine

Copper Elite Contributor

Francine,

It's not generally a good idea to modify one of the built-in indexed fields like Contact as that is one of the fields that gets parsed into firstname, last name and middle name.  As Bill suggested you should always do a backup first to be safe.  Generally speaking the safest way is to create a new field of larger size is to first create the field of larger size and equal datatype.  Then Edit > Replace/Copy the values from the first field into the second field.  The down side being you need to update your contact screen layout with the new field and remove the original field.  You can blank out the original field values if you would like at some point in the future.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Yes act_enthusiast is correct re the built-in indexed fields like Contact. However I am assuming you only used that field name as an example as the default field size for Contact is 128 Characters. If this is a custom field you or someone added and it is 20 character, you can use my previous procedure above to increase the size of that field. You will get that warning and can proceed. Also suggest you can make a copy of your database and experiment with the copy. You may also find that you will  have to modify your layout after changing field characteristics,  using Tools, Design Layouts, Contact option.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html

Instead of individually copying/pasting from the exisiting field to the new field, how would you do a mass transfer? I did an export of the existing data to excel sheet so that I could map it with the new field but it creates a brand new record.

I have 920 records that needs a change.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Francine Joseph
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Francine,

in your edit meny you have a few choices: You can Replace, Copy or Swap the content of any field, these options will let you do it for your current lookups, so there is no need to copy and paste individually.

Jorge