Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do you import history

How do you import history

I work in the Development Office at a Catholic Elementary School.  We have decided to purchase ACT!.  We are new to the Contact Management world.  The current system we use is an access database and paper files.  I will be importing about 1,000 contacts, which seems pretty straight forward.  I would also like to import some of the history we have for pledges and payments on those pledges in the database.  In total there are about 5,000 - 7,500 transactions or records.  Is there a way to do this?  If so how or point me in the right direction to find the correct documentation.

Thanks for the help.  Looking forward to developing ACT! into a great tool for us.  Any other recommendations as to how to use the system in the nonprofit world would be appreciated!

Astute Commentator

Re: How do you import history

I am sure someone out there has a more definitive answer than me as I do not work for ACT, just a long time user. I am pretty sure that for something like attaching histories to contacts you are going to need a 3rd party program that allows you to map exactly what you want. It seems like this should be something that is included in ACT, but I don't believe that it is. That is why these 3rd party programs have been developed. I have successfully used a program called oakmerge. It is a pretty straight forward and once you play around with it a little, it works very well. I know that there are others as well. You might want to do a google search.

Silver Contributor

You are correct, Oakmerge is a great tool (http://www.oakmerge.com/). Another one we have used is MergeIT. You can google them. But importing of histories does require an add in.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks! I will check into both of them.
Bronze Contributor

I recently did this for a client and after using many tools Oakmerge was definately the easiest add-on.

You have a couple fo choices as John indicates or find a local consultant who can do this for you if this is a one time import as your description would indicate if you have pledges some working of the data to place it in the history table correctly.

Let me know if you need further assistance

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.