Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do i replace a specific word/phrase only in the ID field without disrupting the rest of the ID?

Highlighted

How do i replace a specific word/phrase only in the ID field without disrupting the rest of the ID?

i am using Act Version 18..2.53.0

In the ID/Status field i have the name of the company and state.  so for example i have "BobsBar- FL" or "BobsBar- TX".   The company has now changed names but i want to keep the state the same.  So now the name is "MikesBar- FL" and "MikesBar- TX".  I have about 500 contact that i need to change.  Is there a way to do this without manually entering (i have all 50 states represented).  So to Clarify, i just want to change the name of the company and leave the "- State" or - FL the same.  thank you.

Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: How do i replace a specific word/phrase only in the ID field without disrupting the rest of the ID?

I'll answer the question, but then I have an opinion on the use of ID Status.

As long as the ID/Status is not restricted to the items in the list, then ...

• do a look up of ID/Status for BobsBar-FL
  • Use the Replace command (Edit … Replace Field) 
  • Enter NewBobsBar-FL
  • Repeat for the other states.

The change will update the ID/Status for all contacts in the lookup of BobsBar-FL.

If you don't want to lookup each state, then you will need a third party.  See title "Importing Updated Field Information to Current Clients" in this forum for suggestions of 3rd party software.

Now my opinion - the ID/Status should be the one field that categorizes the contact generally as a prospect, customer, vendor, etc.  If possible, keep ID/Status to 20 or less categories.

Then do a contact lookup of BobsBar regardless of the state.  Using the replace command to change the name of company to the new company name.  No need to do a lookup by state.  

If you are using the "Companies" feature, then you only have to do a lookup of the company name and enter the new name.  When you leave the screen or click save, you will be asked to update all the records linked to BobsBar.  

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 22.0.205.0 Update 3
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 500GB SSD.
ACT CRM Advisor