Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I search for contacts who belong to 2 or more different groups?

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

How do I search for contacts who belong to 2 or more different groups?

How do I search for a contact who belongs to 2 or 3 different groups? I can create a contact list for one group.

I can do this:

1. select a group and hit create lookup.

but I can't figure out how to select another group and narrow the lookup to be in both groups? Has anyone solved this problem?

I have: Act! Pro Version 18.2.53.0, Update 4

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author poweruser
‎03-03-2017 05:49 AM
Administrator

Re: How do I search for contacts who belong to 2 or more different groups?

Hi poweruser,

There isn't a built-in function to lookup the contacts within multiple groups, however it can still be done in a few steps:

If your groups are built on dynamic criteria, then you can add these criteria together in an advanced lookup to find all related contacts.

If the groups use static membership, then the easiest method is:

1. Create a temporary group
  2. Select your first group and right-click > Create Lookup
  3. Select all the contacts and right-click > Add Contacts to Group > then select your temporary group
  4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 for the remaining groups.
  5. Your temporary group will now contain all the contacts from the added groups.

Another method would utilise a field on the contact record to contain the name of a group they are member of. You could then perform a lookup of that field containing the group names you wish to see. The Edit > Replace Field tool would be useful to write the group name into a field from a lookup of contacts within a group.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author poweruser
‎03-03-2017 05:49 AM
Administrator

Hi poweruser,

There isn't a built-in function to lookup the contacts within multiple groups, however it can still be done in a few steps:

If your groups are built on dynamic criteria, then you can add these criteria together in an advanced lookup to find all related contacts.

If the groups use static membership, then the easiest method is:

1. Create a temporary group
  2. Select your first group and right-click > Create Lookup
  3. Select all the contacts and right-click > Add Contacts to Group > then select your temporary group
  4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 for the remaining groups.
  5. Your temporary group will now contain all the contacts from the added groups.

Another method would utilise a field on the contact record to contain the name of a group they are member of. You could then perform a lookup of that field containing the group names you wish to see. The Edit > Replace Field tool would be useful to write the group name into a field from a lookup of contacts within a group.

Astute Commentator

Gary W. excellent answer! By the way what is group lookup by "dynamic criteria?" If I understand correctly what I have done is create groups with "static criteria." I have created groups and have added people to those groups.

Regardless, you have answered my original question and have solved my problem! Thank you. ACT is an amazing database! Thank you again.

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Thanks poweruser,

Let me explain the two different group types:

1. Static Membership - These groups have no criteria for which contacts should be included. Contacts are added manually, either by using the button in the Add/Remove Contacts window, or by selecting one or more contacts and right-click > Add Contacts to Group.
  2. Dynamic Membership - These groups have a criteria defined which add matching contacts into the group automatically. The criteria is built in the same format as an advanced lookup (i.e. contact > country > equal to > United States). These groups will update automatically as contacts are added or changed in the database to meet the criteria.

Act!_2017-03-03_14-49-44.png

It's worth noting that you may have a group set up with dynamic membership, and also include contacts to the same group using static membership, although this isn't really recommended as it can quickly cause confusion.