Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I move Act 2008 (10) from one computer to another

How do I move Act 2008 (10) from one computer to another

I need to move the actual program, hopefully with the setting as to how it's sharing is setup from one computer to another? I have a program that uses ACT and can't upgrade to the newest version yet.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: How do I move Act 2008 (10) from one computer to another

You can use your original installation disc (or download) to install the Act! program on the new computer, then use the Backup/Restore function to move a copy of your database from the old to the new machine.  You will need to set up the sharing of the database on the new machine because the 'PAD' file you use for the database on the old machine will need to be replaced (with the PAD file from the database on the new machine).

Here are some articles to help:

- Backup and Restore an Act! database

- Share Act! database over Network

FYI - If you are moving your Act! 2008 program to a computer running Windows7, we have found that it will install and run but it has not been tested and we do not support Act! 2008 on that operating system.  Also, you will need to run the Act! program 'As Administrator', to do this: right click on Act! icon > select Properties > select Compatibility tab > enable option for 'Always Run as Administrator'. 

Greg Martin
Sage

I tried uninstalling and got error can't find ini file

Platinum Super Contributor

You don't have to uninstall it from the original computer before installing it on the new one, but if you'd like to remove it and it fails when using the Add/Remove uninstall option - here is an article which explains how to manually uninstall the Act! program:

KB Article 21959

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you very much