Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I move ACT software and associated files from my C: drive to my new E: drive?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

How do I move ACT software and associated files from my C: drive to my new E: drive?

My C: drive is full and I've added a new E: drive to my computer.  How can I move the ACT software and associated files to the new E: drive to free up space on C:?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author mmullin
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How do I move ACT software and associated files from my C: drive to my new E: drive?

For starters, what version of ACT! are you using? As to the program, you would have to uninstall the program and then reinstall on the new drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author mmullin
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: How do I move ACT software and associated files from my C: drive to my new E: drive?

For starters, what version of ACT! are you using? As to the program, you would have to uninstall the program and then reinstall on the new drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy, I was afraid of that.  I know how to move the database files but was hoping there was an easier way to just copy and paste the ACT files into the E: drive.

Thanks for the prompt reply

mmullin wrote:

Roy, I was afraid of that.  I know how to move the database files but was hoping there was an easier way to just copy and paste the ACT files into the E: drive.

Thanks for the prompt reply

You can't move any Windows application that way. They need to register the locations in the Winows registry. Also, many parts need to be in the Program Files or the Windows folders.... these can be changed in Windows, but not usually for just one application

To move the database files, make sure you Backup | Restore | Restore As

[ Edited ]
When you are reinstalling to the E: drive, you are also given the choice of where to install Microsoft SQL (assuming you want to get SQL off the C: drive as well).  While you are able to assign a drive other than C: for the SQL install, there are still some SQL files that will go to C: by default.  For this reason, it is recommended that install SQL to C: rather than another drive letter.
Message Edited by ghollister on 09-18-2008 01:05 PM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Also, just thought I'd add... you'll only get the option for SQL if you uninstalled it also (seperately) - but as gholister says, installing SQL on non-standard drives is not recommended unless you have some good knowledge of SQL admin