Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I move ACT 2013 database from old to new laptop?

Highlighted
Administrator

Re: How do I move ACT 2013 database from old to new laptop?

It's not a one time restore - you can restore the backup as many times as you want. If you want to test it, you can test restoring the backup on the old version - just choose File > Restore > Restore As... and give the restore a new name, then you can verify that everything has backed up correctly.

Generally speaking the backups tend to be pretty robust, I've almost never seen a backup that wasn't able to be restored unless the original database had some serious data corruption to begin with.
Highlighted

It appears v17 is also compatible with Windows 10.

I am using only as single user with just the contact management feature.

What does 3 activations mean?

Is there any reason to pay a higher price for v20 versus buying v17 for less?

Please advise.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Administrator

Correct, the most recent update of v17 is compatible with Windows 10.

3 Activations simply means you can use your serial key to register the software 3 times, any more than that you'll need to call us so that we can increase the activation limit.

v17 is no longer supported by Swiftpage, so it won't receive any more updates or patches. This does mean that any future windows/office updates could possibly cause issues that would not be resolved.

Of course, the most popular reason for choosing v20 is to get access to the latest features - such as the Act! Connect Link which lets you link your database to a load of different services on the internet to pool your data, the new updated UI or "Act! Insight" to manage and analyze your data.

There's been a lot of features added since v17. Plus a lot of our customers become Act! Subscribers, which means paying monthly rather than in one lump sum - and being a subscriber grants a bunch of benefits like always having access to new versions as they release, phone/email technical support and access to features like the Act! Companion App.

Sorry this got a little sales-pitch-y, but it's generally worth making sure you're up to date as new versions are going to be supported for longer - and will be less likely to have issues down the line, meaning it'll be longer before you need to think about upgrading again.
Highlighted

In order to use Act ConnectLink, you have to pay a monthly subscription fee?  Is that correct?

Please clarify.  Thanks.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

I tried backing my database with ACT 2013.

However, I get the error message in attached screenshot.

The following error has occurred during backup.  Backup was cancelled.

Cannot insert duplicate key row in object....

Can someone help me resolve this?  Please let me know.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

This is a known error caused by Microsoft and you should use this KB to try and fix it...

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28141

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

I followed the instructions and was able to complete the backup.  Thank you.

It's a 97MB zip file.  How can I verify that I can actually restore the data I backed up?

Options are restore, restore as, or unpack and restore. This would be for ACT2013 as I've not purchased v20 yet.

I am not getting my new laptop (which has Windows 10) until next week.  However, I'd like to test my backup in advance with my current  (Windows 7) laptop.

So I just want to test the restore and then delete once I've confirmed the data is there.

Please let me know.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

You can do "Restore As" and give the restored database another name so it doesn't copy over your original.

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Highlighted

I will try that.

How can I determine the file location of the ACT Database I am currently using?

I seem to have a few different folders that say ACT.  As a result, I can't tell which database I am currently using.  A few years ago, I may have created a few other databases that I am no longer using.  

Would like to clean this up so I don't delete anything accidentally.

Please advise.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Click Windows +R (= run a program) and type "actdiag". Go to databases details list. The list will show all local databases and where the physical location on your hard disk is.

c1.jpg

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de