Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I merge my databases

How do I merge my databases

Help Please,

I know this must be simple but I am having a tough time figuring this out.  I have Act standard 2009
installed on my laptop at work and my desktop at home.  What is the best way to merge
my contacts email list from home desktop pc to my laptop ?  I need to have both Databases
with the same contact list information.  Is there a real simple way to doing this.  I have been doing
it by hand on each system but the data base is getting to big now to fast on both systems.

Thanks for your help

Sam

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: How do I merge my databases

Sam -

If both databases have the same structure (i.e. fields), then what I'd do is pick one (probably the desktop) to be the "server".  Merge any differences, or merge the whole laptop db to the desktop and check for duplicates.  If the databases are already identical, skip this step - you don't need to merge.

Now, from the "server"/desktop, create a remote database (via Tools>Synchronization Panel...), which will then be opened  on the laptop.  Now, the laptop is a "client" (a copy) of the server database.  You can now sync from the laptop to the desktop, entering only one place, but updating both (it works both ways).

Hope this helps, there's a few more details which I'd be happy to answer, or you can find info on the ACT! knowledge base articles...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

As Richard says, you need to set up sync.

Backup the database on the laptop and Restore (Restore As) to a new name on the desktop

Then import the laptop database into the desktop as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1753...

You should then delete the laptop database from both machines so you don't accidently use the wrong one (keep the backups)

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1413...

Then, you set up Application sync as per http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/01/sharing-act-network-or-sync-part-1.html

If you want to sync when the two systems aren't on the same network, see the VPN section

[ Edited ]

Thanks Mike and Richard for replying.  Sorry for the delay in responding back to you two.  Been overly busy this week

with lots of issues.  I will try to do what you two suggested.  I was really hoping for a much easier solution like
export and import.  I am seeing that nothing is done without 50 steps being involved when it comes to ACT.

Again Thanks for the directions and links.

Sam

Message Edited by samreg on 02-18-2010 06:33 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

It is an export or import ... the number of steps are becuase of the variety of options that different users may need for different scenarios.