Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I import a list of Activities/Times/Dates etc into Act from Excel?

Astute Commentator

How do I import a list of Activities/Times/Dates etc into Act from Excel?

Using Act 2010, Win 7 and Excel 2003, Outlook 2007 (if necessary) I have a list of Dates where I am going to be scheduled for different events times places etc. I do have the schedule on an excel spreadsheet that has the Date, the Day, the Location, the Event, The start time, the end time and the duration. There are many, many dates and there has to be an easy to import all this into activities for act. Most all have specific times and a few I know the event will be 60 minutes, but I do not yet know what time during that day so I would like those to go in as a "timeless" activity. Could someone please tell me what the easiest way to get these int act would be?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How do I import a list of Activities/Times/Dates etc into Act from Excel?

Astute Commentator

Is there a cost for this?

Yes.

ACT!'s import can only import Contacts and Companies... to import the other tables, you need to use the ACT! SDK or use an add-on like itImport and I indicated.

Astute Commentator

Well, that is really rather crappy.

Could I import into Outlook calendar and then import from that?

Outlook activities can show in ACT!, but won't be proper ACT! activities as Outlook doesn't associate activities with specific contacts
Copper Contributor

Hi 

You might also consider Inaport for ACT! from InaPlex (us).

Inaport is a full featured data integration engine that covers the full range of Sage CRM products: ACT!, SageCRM and SalesLogix. It has robust data transformation and matching capabilites, and also management (scheduling, logging, error recovery).

Any questions, please ask.

Regards

David Evans

Inaport - CRM Integration

http://www.inaplex.com 

Astute Commentator

You have both provided solutions that are multiple times the price of ACT. While this is great for whom ever creates these add ons, it does not seem all that realistic for someone to pay that much for something that does so little............

I was trying to import my kids soccer schedule into act and you guys are telling me that the only way to import 50 dates into the calendar is to go out and spend the better part of $1000

This type of stuff about ACT just drives me crazy. There is no doubt in my mind that this functionality should be built into ACT. It can not be that difficult to make it so that ACT will import form EXCEL or a csv file or something like that ....

Copper Contributor

Hi 

I can sympathize with your  frustration - from your perspective, this looks like a straightforward issue, and your task does not warrant the kind of money being asked.

Unfortunately, general purpose import is actually a hard problem - this is why third party products have a viable offering. One of the problems is that ACT now spans a very diverse community. Inaport is being used by (for example) a major health care provider to integrate a large ACT implementation with their Oracle based ERP system; their needs and requirements are obviously very different.

Sorry that we cannot be of assistance, and I hope you find a solution.

Regards

David Evans

Inaport - CRM Integration

Astute Commentator

Not sure how you differentiate the client that has revenues into the tens of millions or possibly hundreds of millions and a small time customer like me.