Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I force contract record sync updates

How do I force contract record sync updates

I am syncing between Act2012 and Google.  But I have contact records in Google with do not contain all the data for the same contact record in Act.

If I delete the contact record in Google the Act record does not reappear in Google with all the data.  It does not appear at all.

If I change data in the Act record that data does not appear in the Google record.

What are the "keys" or fields that Act and/or Google uses to figure our a contact match?

If I delete the contact files in C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT Data\Google Sync what will happen if:

A)I delete only the ACT_<db>_Contacts or

B) only the GOOGLE_<db>_Contacts  or

C) delete both?

will contact sync work bi directionally, filling in missing data on each side from the other? If there is one data field which has two different values between Act and Google, which one takes priority?

Thanks for any help.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: How do I force contract record sync updates

Hello Tshevock,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Background information about the Sage ACT! and Google synchronization process: 

- There isn't actually a 'duplicate checking' system in place; but rather, when the 2 programs synchronize for the first time - all contacts from each database will be placed into the other database.  All Sage ACT! contacts go to Google, all Google contacts go to Sage ACT! (unless you have defined sync criteria to limit the contacts).

- Once this occurs, the contacts are tracked through an identifier (an internal tracker, not a field(s)).

- If you delete a contact from Google, it will not be removed from Sage ACT!, nor will Sage ACT! send the contact back to Google. 

If you delete the files within the Google Sync folder, it will remove the existing sync tracking files.  The next sync between the 2 programs will be considered a 'first' synchronization and reintroduce the contacts.  See this article for more information: KB Article 28234

While many fields are synchronized between Google and Sage ACT!, not all are.  Here is an article with instructions for overriding the default field mapping: KB Article 28129

Within the Google Integration > Synchronize Contacts settings you will find the option to determine the 'winner' when data has been updated in the same field within both Sage ACT! and Google.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks for the answer. One other question... If on first sync there is a record with the same name and/or email address in both google and act will I end up with duplicates or will each one update the other? And from the original question and response I take it that there is no way to force a sync on a single or few records? Thanks

If the same contact is contained in both Google and Sage ACT!, on first sync it will create duplicates in both. It is best to clean out one program before initiating the sync.

There is no way to force synchronization of an individual contact (other than updating data in a field).
Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks for the answer. Is all this true for syncing between act and outlook or does that work differently than with google? Tom

Google sync and Outlook sync will behave in the same manner: first sync collects all contacts from both ends, and puts them in the 'other' program/database. Neither has an option to force sync an individual contact. And they both use 'tracking' files to link the synchronized contacts - and keep deleted contacts from being reintroduced.
Greg Martin
Sage