Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I display photo field?

Master Commentator

How do I display photo field?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am using Crystal Reports 2008, connected to the ACT 2010 demo database, trying to get a feel for how certain reports can be created compared to other database types. One problem that I have run into is gertting the photo field in the contact table in the demo database to display the actual photo in the report.The photo field has some type of ID field, but not the image. I can't find the actual image.

I've looked but did not see any documentation on using an ACT database with Crystal Reports, so I'm stuck. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Message Edited by training2go on 11-27-2009 04:30 PM
Copper Contributor

Re: How do I display photo field?

Couple of issues with your request. 

1)  In SQL the problem with a photo field is that its stored as a data blob in the table structure and needs to be retreived, saved locally and than displayed.

2)  Crystal doesn't have a data picture field to drop on a report.

Using the ACT sql reader account, you can write a routine to create the image locally if are creating something simply like a HR document.  If your looking to create a report with multiple pictures per record, crystal may not be the best option and a web page may be a better fit.

C. Joseph Keesey III, MCAD ACC
ACT! Certified Consultant®
Microsoft Certified Application Developer®

SystemsNet
Master Commentator

Re: How do I display photo field?

Hello,

I think that I understand what you are saying and that is when using an ACT! database with Crystal it is possible to display an image, just not easy to do.Am I close?

jkeesey wrote:

Couple of issues with your request. 

1)  In SQL the problem with a photo field is that its stored as a data blob in the table structure and needs to be retreived, saved locally and than displayed.

2)  Crystal doesn't have a data picture field to drop on a report.

Using the ACT sql reader account, you can write a routine to create the image locally if are creating something simply like a HR document.  If your looking to create a report with multiple pictures per record, crystal may not be the best option and a web page may be a better fit.