Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I copy my database to a different computer in a multi-user setup?

How do I copy my database to a different computer in a multi-user setup?

Hi,

At my business, we are running ACT 2006 v8. The database lives on a Windows XP machine, and it is being shared over the network with a second machine running Windows 7. We have 2 user licenses - the primary license is on the XP machine and the second license is on the Windows 7 machine.

We're going to get rid of the XP machine, so we want to run our database only on the Windows 7 machine without any network sharing.

I'm not familiar with how ACT works in a netwroked environment with 2 licenses so my questions are:

Is the full ACT application already installed on the Windows 7 machine? So if I just copy our database to the Windows 7 machine will it run without a problem?

Regarding the licenses - after copying my database, can I log in to the Windows 7 machine with either of my licensed log-ins? I don't know if the primary license is somehow permanently associated with the XP machine. Once the XP machine is pulled from the network will this prevent me from using our primary login?

Thanks!

Bob

Copper Contributor

Re: How do I copy my database to a different computer in a multi-user setup?

Hi,

if there is not remote database in your environement then you can just do a backup of the database from Act! and restore it on the new computer. After this you will have to reconfigure both computer that had access to the the Windows XP so they can open the "new" moved database.

Move database : http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19818/kw/move%20database

Francis Joyal
Act Technical Support @ Contactik

Thanks for the reply Francis.

We don't use remote synchronization. So I will save a backup file, then do a "restore as" when I restore it to my Windows 7 machine, like the article describes.

Is there anything I need to know about our licenses? When I remove the XP machine from our network, will I still be able to login to my Windows 7 machine with the user name that I was using on my XP machine?

Copper Contributor

You will be able to register with the same serial ( if not, call swiftpage so they can unlock your serial) and all the ACT! users you had will remain the same.

Francis Joyal

Thanks, your fast replies are much appreciated!

Copper Contributor

You are welome!
Francis Joyal