Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I categorize types of customers, and where?

How do I categorize types of customers, and where?

[ Edited ]

Does anyone know how the best way to catagorize types of customers and where?  Example: Contractor, End User, Municipality, etc.  I need to do a mailer and only want to send only to certain customers.  I have Sage Act Pro.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: How do I categorize types of customers, and where?

Often times the default "ID Status" field is a good candidate.

The one thing to be careful with is that you don't keep more than one type of data in the same field.

For example:

• Relative
  • Friend
  • Co-worker
  • Employee

are all of the same type of categorization, but I have seen where folks then add things like:

• Manufacturer
  • Retail
  • Distributor

These are industry segments, so wouldn't go with the first list.

It's not the end of the world, but what tends to happen is the list grows over time and gets more and more "unlike", making it hard to do exactly the kind of segmentation you are looking for.

We are sticking to 4 categories.  Keeping it simple.  Thank you.  I thought that is where I would want to do it but upon further research I tried to pull a report calling for that and didn't find it.

Bronze Super Contributor

I'm not entirely sure if you are saying that will or won't work for you.

If you find a report that pretty much matches what you want, you can easily add the ID/Status field to the report via the report editor.

Keep in mind that while there are some basic filters to be applied at the time you run the report, generally what you want to do for reporting is to run your lookup(s)/query to give you the list that you want to include in the report, and then run the desired report template.

Think of your lookups/groups/queries as building the list and then the report as the way that the list will look when you print it...

Got it, thanks!

How do I take and assign the appropriate id.  I have salesman territory pulled up and selecting a few at a time and then where do I attach the id?