Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How did you solve the port 25 SMTP issue where in Act I cant change the port number

How did you solve the port 25 SMTP issue where in Act I cant change the port number

My ISP does not like sending on port 25 so I connect to my mail server on 2525. But Act email client does not have a option to enter port number for smtp. (I can use outlook but i just want to use one email client). How can this probelm solved ?

Jay

Re: How did you solve the port 25 SMTP issue where in Act I cant change the port number

Jay,

Unfortunately, you'll have to setup a different supported email client and link it to ACT!.  You're correct, there isn't an option to change port numbers.

I recommend that you switch to use Outlook.  As its more stable and add has the same functionality with ACT!.

Please submit a feature request to be considered in a future version - http://www.act.com/community/feature/

Re: How did you solve the port 25 SMTP issue where in Act I cant change the port number

After this many years of product revs and not having already added the feature to adjust email server port numbers, I believe that there is no intention to do so on the part of your company.  Suggesting to a customer to submit a feature request is just wasting another person's time. 

The inability to change port numbers is completely mind boggling.

I started using ACT when it was available for DOS and upgraded to ACT! 3.0  around 1994 (Whenever ACT3.0 was still a current version) Just this week I decided to upgrade to ACT 2009, but only because I accidently lost my 3.0 installation disks and needed to install on a new laptop.  

I was hoping that after all these years I would  be able to use the email function that the newer versions had been touting. 

ACT 3.0 could not be used with "internet" e-mail at all, only corporate email systems.

What really rubs me the wrong way is the reliance and insistance on using Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express.

I bought a fairly well equipped laptop "ie" Windows Vista Home Premium 64, however, the proposed successor to Outlook Express, Windows Mail is not supported by ACT!

Another misleading bit of information is on the packaging, that mentions that ACT! is compatible with Eudora 5.2.

I down loaded Eudora 5.2 (Circa 2003) and installed it, reviewed the email settings, only to find that alternate port setting are not supported either. While this may work as a client for ACT! it doesn't solve the problem

Now.....  They still are developing Eudora, the beta version is 8.0 and I have that installed as well but neither is recognized as a client in ACT! It's possilble that since neither of these were installed before I installed ACT!, the program may not recognize them.

It would be helpful if Sage would allow other email clients to work in ACT!. 

I may install Outlook, not becauseI want to, but because I have to if I want to communicate to my customers.

My ISP requires that I set my SMTP server to port 465 and SSL and my POP server to 995, from the threads I've been reading, this is being implemented by other ISP's around the country.

Yup I have had the same problem. It was maddening. It took me about 8 hours to get a handle on what was going on. Had to go out and buy Outlook tonight to get ACT! to work.

It really seems unreasonable to suggest that ACT is a standalone package with its own email client when in fact that client cannot always be configured to connect to the outside world.

What little I saw of the ACT! client, I liked, and I would prefer to simply use it, but that is not an option. At least be upfront and say that ACT! requires Outlook.

My mind is boggled too. 

Outlook doesn't have the same functionality as the ACT! client as one of Outlooks "features" is that it strips inline images from the email templates and sends a gobbldygook of attachment that confuse the receiver of the emails.

I won't be upgrading to another version of ACT! if I can't send email through the port designated by my broadband provider. I will be looking to replace ACT! with whatever it takes after spending almost a hundred hours this year supporting lame problems like not being able to send email and not being able to security updates to the SQL client.

I'm an Internet Consultant.  I run across this problem constantly.  In all cases, the ISP will remove the Port 25 block simply by contact them and requesting it.  I have not yet run across an ISP that would not remove the block.

One of the largest ISPs that block this port is AT&T/Southwestern Bell/BellSouth/etc/etc/etc.   and I know they will unblock it within minutes of a phone call.

Bryan Britt

Internet Consultant

Beltane Web Services

I trust that you are correct on the assertion that they will unblock port 25 on request.

However, the other issue is that while they may allow access from your home IP address or business account, I've experienced relaying problems when trying to send e-mail from remote accounts ("ie": free internet connections from Motels, McDonalds, Panera Bread, or any other access point using port 25).

Messages would bounce saying that relaying was not allowed. 

I'm not an expert on this, but if I'm correct, the problem is that the free providers either don't want to accept incoming port 25 e-mail requests or that the secondary ISP's server detects that the PORT request is not coming from an account on its network and will not allow or relay that mail message to the final recipient.

I do know that one of the purposes of this is to stop, or reduce spamming from these types of access points.

By using Ports 465 and 995 with SSL I have been able to use standard e-mail clients everywhere and not have to resort to WebMail.

If this is true, then it is still important that we be able to set e-mail clients to these port settings, and if that can't be integrated into or accomplished by ACT!

I think that it seriously reduces the value of the product.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Wow this is good stuff to know. Glad I came accross this post. It explains some things I struggled with last nite setting up ACT! 10 email.

This is mind boggling gobblity goop stuff that the average ACT!  / PC user should not even be having to deal with. 

Easy to feel a little horn swaggled when we dont have this sort of knowledge to get us past our momentary catifizms.

I hope Sage will work on their email side of things and their phone dialer(to work over broadband and with modem faxing)..

Glad this forum is here so we can all try to keep stuff working. Still happy to be a ACT! user though. cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html

I have not used ACT since purchasing it. When I thought about the lack of meaningful response fromt the company around what is clearly a signficant issue, I didn't feel comfortable using the package. At this point I consider the purchase a waste, have a very dim view of Sage and its affiliate brands and would highly discourage anyone from purchasing ACT.