Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How can this be number 1?? WOW

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How can this be number 1?? WOW

Zerk wrote:
I am not the brightest person on the block and programming was one of the most difficult classes I took at Arizona State University in 2003, however having considerable experience in the business world before going back to school, I would think the makers of ACT would have  produced a better product than this 2008 10.0. Given the amount of time i have given this product I would think I should have made the sync work by now. Having a user guide like the one ACT 10.0 has is worthless. I have learned more on these disscussion pages than any information included with ACT. I have to ask , should the company open up the support at no charge. Is the thought that because only a few users that are completly lost take the time to look up help issues. If 1 in 100 people who have problems actually seek help I would be amazed. If the user problems continue maybe a recall should be demanded. 

A couple of quick thoughts...
  • Support is never free. The only way to not charge for support would be to increase the cost of the product. I can't think of any of the major software companies that do free support beyond install.
  • Most of the more common issues I see (especially install) are actually not with the ACT! code, but with the Microsoft components and environment.
  • The best guide is the Knowledge Base... I agree that this needs to be made more obvious in the product and the web site. There are good document on setting up sync that are worth reading before setting it up
Tuned Listener

I have read this thread with great interest. I have also been a user since version 2.0 (I just found and discarded that manual by the way). I have found the program to be increasingly difficult to use, despite the improvements. I have also been a beta tester, of version 6 if I remember, and found the support team to be much more responsive than Sage.

For the price paid, I think support should go beyond the brief time it does. In the past there was at least 90 days support. To ask someone to pay almost 3 times the price of the software for a support package is nothing short of a ripoff in my opinion.

I also asked a question a while ago and I think the topic was deleted. I have a Windows Mobile 6 phone (AT&T Tilt) and was curious as to why there is an Act for Palm but no longer one for Windows Mobile. I find Act link terribly deficient.

I got so frustrated I actually stopped using ACT for a few months and just lived off Outlook, but I think it's time to try again.

Again, I do agree with those who think Sage has not been the best parent for the ACT franchise.
Copper Contributor

Art234 wrote:
I also asked a question a while ago and I think the topic was deleted. I have a Windows Mobile 6 phone (AT&T Tilt) and was curious as to why there is an Act for Palm but no longer one for Windows Mobile. I find Act link terribly deficient.

Just wanted to let you know that your thread was not removed. You can find it --> HERE.
Tuned Listener

I noticed that after looking again. Thank you!

If you think ACT! is bad you should really try the utter rubbish that is SalesForce and, even worse, Siebel on Demand. Siebel is so Mickey Mouse that, for example, if you enter a multi day event it is only shown as a single entry in the Calendar - Give me strength!!

[ Edited ]

• Importing and mapping from Excel files (has to be text delimited) (waste of time) - How often do you import from Excel? When you do it's very easy.
  • “Look for” box in Contact List is absolutely useless.  Does not search any other field than company name, most times does nothing when Enter is pressed to search (waste of time) - Search in Contacts then select contact list, takes 2 seconds.
  • Phone format is not consistent, no way to mass edit this (waste of time) - How often do you need to change the phone format {edited}?
  • Replacing contact field cannot be done in Contact List mode (waste of time) - Then do it in Contacts view, {edited-please post courteously}!
  • Single clicking on groups expands/collapses entire group (irritating) - Not a problem in the slightest.
  • Stock reports are setup horribly! – have to waste time designing my own - Most of the Report seem to be good to me, and I unlike yourself can very easily edit them.
  • Have to waste 3x the $$ of the program on add-ons to make it useful! (waste of time/$$) - Like what?
  • Can’t just select contacts and perform operations, always have to “create lookup” – (waste of time) - Yes, I see that takes 2 seconds also.
  • When scrolling page (clicking with mouse and dragging scroll bar) you have to stop for it to update display (waste of time/pointless) - I've never noticed that.
  • Program runs terribly SLOW!  Freezes up often. - probably your PC
  • Can’t create a new Company just by highlighting several contacts w/ same company name.  Have to first make a company using only one contact, then highlight and add the rest to that company.  (waste of time) - Not a problem, except perhaps for you.
  • Quick Print Current Window should be Quick Print Current “Selection” - So what.
  • No error message when importing contacts supposedly failed - Yes there is!

Message Edited by tashina on 04-08-2008 01:46 PM
Copper Contributor

The more I use ACT - The more I question it, there are so many functions that I would like to do - that ACT doesnt do - it can only be done, by implimenting some strange queriy and saving that ---  

I have worked with a Inventory Database of 108,500 with each sku with over 22 Fields - Multiple Search and reporting capablities --- With FAR Greater EASE THAN JUST 1000 Records in ACT 10 (PREMIUM) ----   

If I input 1000 records into ACT / and 500 have to data in the "Company" field --- and the other 500 do --- Then shouldnt 500 Be in my Company List ----- NO NO NO --- ACT Users --- You will have to enter those again, or atleast highlight the 'contact' then create Company from contact ----- NICE WASTE OF TIME!! BTW --- You can import a data file with the 1000 contacts in one operation (you will however have to try that multiple times - to make sure your data goes into the proper fields - GOOOD LUCK to you on that )

Every Operation you want to do - is a CHORE ---- I have advanced PC skills in Hardware/Software, Building DBases/ Websites and so on.... every advanced feature that I try to do with ACT ----- is like a BIG deal, Its like you need to take an ACT 4 Week course to get anything out of this software (which btw has serious flaws and limitations) which is why all these other guys are writing addons and extras --- ACT should spend more money on development I would have thought by Ver 10 - that this software would be AMAZING --- It is simply NOT --- (It is good dont get me wrong) ACT must have got lucky in the market ---- a 6 out of 10 product, somehow getting ranked as #1 

I couldn't agree more.  We were so hopeful that ACT would be the solution to our problem.  Unfortunately, it's only been part of the problem.  We have even paid two different consultants to try to help us get the program to work properly and still to no avail.  One of its biggest problems is inconsistency.  Some features work on some of our computers and not on others.

I don't have the time or space to list of all of the problems and issues we have had with the program.  What I can't understand is 1) HOW they are able to continue selling a program that operates so poorly; 2) why they or someone else can't come up with one that works; and 3) MOST IMPORTANTLY -- does the company not care about how unhappy their customers are?

Nowhere on their site do I see anywhere to contact the company and let them know how dissatisfied a customer is, nor do they even offer any FREE assistance to help you get things running properly.  I'm coming to the conclusion that they don't offer to help you because nothing they can do would ever make the program work properly.

Champion Listener

bzelinski wrote:

Nowhere on their site do I see anywhere to contact the company and let them know how dissatisfied a customer is, nor do they even offer any FREE assistance to help you get things running properly.  I'm coming to the conclusion that they don't offer to help you because nothing they can do would ever make the program work properly.

I wanted to provide a brief reply to your specific points about Sage.

1. We do indeed care as evidenced by the creation and support of this very community.

2. Every customer has 30 days of FREE warranty support from the time of purchase for both new and upgrade customers.

3. Not only can you use these forums and David van Toor's Blog to interact directly with Sage staff and the GM but also consider looking at a few things on the Contact Us page on ACT.com for phone numbers to the support department or to the Ask David email inbox if you wish to communicate in private (though we do prefer public dialogue since others may have the same question or concern.)

Let's keep the dialogue going. If you wish, start another thread on a specific topic. As always, please keep the dialogue constructive and professional.

Neil

I must echo my confirmation after reading these comments on the latest versions of ACT! I've been using ACT! since the very first (1.0) and love it, but truth be told, I use Version 6.0 and so do all my clients. I did upgrade and quickly returned Version 9.0 for a refund and then they wrote and wanted me to evaluate the new version! Oh, my, why would I? Where was the ability to modify my menus and add reports, labels, & envelopes that I use daily, or my favorite lookups? Where was the position tab in the print box? That was just a few of the issues that I had with the new version. I found it cumbersome and difficult to understand. I don't know what the developers were thinking! I manage over a half dozen databases and a few average 2,000 records or more. No problems, no issues with 6.0!

ACT! 6.0 is still the best! Sure, it has email issues, but considering everything else is easy, intuitive, right off the menu and not hidden obscurely, well why would I want to bother with those newer versions? We search the internet for 6.0 and another client just bought a copy last week. Sage needs to take a long hard look at some of these comments. Long live 6.0! Maybe Sage could consider a scaled down version that doesn't have all those 'libraries', 'sales/opportunities', and confusing 'group' setups. Sometimes simpler is better!