Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How can this be number 1?? WOW

Copper Contributor

How can this be number 1?? WOW

If this is the Number 1 Selling Contact and Customer Manager then I cannot imagine how terrible the other programs are!!  How do you people use this horribly laid out program efficiently??  Can it do a lot of things - sure.  Does it take a LONG time to do them - WOW, yes!  I can't wait for the day I don't have to use this program anymore.  I've been making a log of some of the frustrations I have with this program...you're input is encouraged because I'm forced to use this terrible waste of time.

• Importing and mapping from Excel files (has to be text delimited) (waste of time)
  • “Look for” box in Contact List is absolutely useless.  Does not search any other field than company name, most times does nothing when Enter is pressed to search (waste of time)
  • Phone format is not consistent, no way to mass edit this (waste of time)
  • Replacing contact field cannot be done in Contact List mode (waste of time)
  • Single clicking on groups expands/collapses entire group (irritating)
  • Stock reports are setup horribly! – have to waste time designing my own
  • Have to waste 3x the $$ of the program on add-ons to make it useful! (waste of time/$$)
  • Can’t just select contacts and perform operations, always have to “create lookup” – (waste of time)
  • When scrolling page (clicking with mouse and dragging scroll bar) you have to stop for it to update display (waste of time/pointless)
  • Program runs terribly SLOW!  Freezes up often.
  • Can’t create a new Company just by highlighting several contacts w/ same company name.  Have to first make a company using only one contact, then highlight and add the rest to that company.  (waste of time)
  • Quick Print Current Window should be Quick Print Current “Selection”
  • No error message when importing contacts supposedly failed

Trust me - there are more to come.  While wasting time using the program, I figured I might as well continue the wasted-time-trend and document the incapacities of this program.

Tuned Listener

Re: How can this be number 1?? WOW

I feel for you, I have been a fan of ACT for years, but this new version has been nothing but trouble for me, I am a one man shop and I spend my evenings working on ACT trying to get things to work, reading posts trying to figure out my problems.

When I made the  switch from Goldmine to ACT years ago I loved it, but I would go back to my 6.0 in a heartbeat, Sage must be going after a different type of customer and I do not fit the mold anymore. You are not the only one frustrated, I have read many posts from people upset with ACT. (Install issues, SQL server problems, synch issues etc) The older versions worked great and were easy to use.
There are several people here that really try to help and I thank them, they are probably tecky folks which I am not, but then again ACT was built so that anybody could use it and customize it for their use, now it is just too complicated for that and the manuals give no real detail, the videos aren't much help either.

You would think that from reading all of these posts someone from Sage would stand up and say, alright we have some issues, this is what they are and this is what are going to do about it.

My previous employer was also a user of ACT 6.0 and they probably has 10,000 plus users, I can assure Sage that they monitor these posts and will think hard before they buy again. I have learned that you should always search out forums like this, had I done that I would still be using my old ACT. (Should have listened to the help desk and followed there suggestion)

I have never posted in a forum before but the issue you raise is significant and troubling. I have been an ACT! user since 1996. The last worthwhile version was 6.0 (and I'm not alone in this thought). I upgraded to 2006, 2007 and was quite frankly burned. I was seriously considering going to 2008 today and decided to see if some of the prior issues had been resloved (hence I jumped on this forum). Unfortunately, it appears as though the folks at Sage are simply not listening to thier customers. I am a Regional Sales & Marketing Manager in a large corporation. We are moving to CRM this year. My superiors knew I was an avid ACT user so they asked my opinion. Unfortunately, I could not recommend ACT. I am now project lead on this CRM transition and we are going with Maximizer CRM 10. 500 licenses!! Sorry Sage. I encourage you to check out this product. You can make it have the look and feel of ACT without all of the problems. Just a thought.....
Copper Contributor

I agree with you both.  Though I have not used earlier versions (but know people who have), I feel that by correcting a few of the issues I mentioned above, it would be a lot more efficient and easier to use.  The user interface is my biggest concern at the moment.  The way I am used to doing things (Microsoft Office) is basically not applicable with this program - it's like I have to step back for a second and try to "think" how ACT works inside and then go from there.  Just simple things like being able to highlight multiple contacts and perform an operation would be a big step in the right direction rather than "performing a lookup" every single time I want to do something with a few contacts.  Another fact that troubles me is when writing e-mails to a group of people, you have to be very careful when you press the "next" button toward the end because it goes straight to my Outlook Outbox with no way of double checking first!  I've had to attempt message recalls several times because of this.  In addition when searching for help, I've found the "Knowledge Database" to be about useless.  All I see is the same 10 posts regarding How-To's.  Calling on the phone was of no help because my "support plan" of 30 days or whatever had run out.  They couldn't even answer a simple question because I wasn't paying them $300 for product support.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
ACT! 2008 works fine for the most part. It is much more robust in it's data handling capabilities than any previous version. Try putting 100,000 contacts in ACT! 6 along with years of history and watch the program slowly grind to a halt... not a problem at all with 2008 (ver 10).

Reading a few posts on a forum does not substitute for trying and testing it yourself, and certainly is not "due diligence" for someone responsible for making a huge corporate decision. All support forums are the same - the 1% of people having problems show up to ask for help, and the other 99% who are not having problems have no need to be here so you don't hear from them.

You will find tons of Maximizer complaints on their support forums as well. For 500 seats, try SalesForce.com, the 800-pound gorilla of hosted CRM.

Message Edited by ECSI on 03-12-2008 10:09 AM
Best Regards,

Chuck
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Message Edited by ACTisHORRIBLE on 03-12-2008 07:31 AM

I've a client since version 2.0, seen many changes and got used to the new ways and improvements of every new version.  However I feel Sage has created a less user friendly program.  Version 2007 ( our version at work ) proved to be a learning ground for them (at our expense).  I don't know if 2008 is better but I won't recommend it until Sage does something for all of us that purchased 2007.

On another note I had higher expections for the integration of this version with Peachtree since Sage makes both.  More options are needed.  Version 6.0 was a better product.
Copper Contributor

Well nothing new here - I'm trying to import a CSV file...it thinks for a few minutes while the status bar runs across the screen and finishes.  Only to display that NO new contacts have been added.  Nothing - no error message, nothing at all.
Nickel Elite Contributor

What duplicate check settings did you use?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Copper Contributor

Hopefully you can help me with this - in duplicate checking settings, I can only choose from about 10 fields - and they are all fields that I created - meaning I can't set it to check on Contact name or email, etc - only on custom fields that I made.  Something definitely isn't right here.