Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How can I have the security of staff not being able to do backups?

Skilled Commentator

How can I have the security of staff not being able to do backups?

I have ACT 11 and for security I wanty to be able to prevent staff members potentially stealing the database by backing it up, or exporting it to excel and saving the excel file.  Ideally an option to prevent them printing certain records would be great too.

We only have one user as ACT is only on one computer, if need be I could pay for a second user to have a lower security level, if this will solve this issue.  But I would prefer not to.  

What are my options?

Can't be too safe when it comes to staff having access to a valuable database!

Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How can I have the security of staff not being able to do backups?

If only one user, they have to be an Admin, so no way to really prevent it in ACT!

With an extra user, you would have them as "Standard" as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1528...

To stop export to excel, would need to be "Restricted"

You can't stop them printing records that they can see

Another option would be to go with Premium on an IIS server and use ACT! for Web

Bronze Super Contributor

Mike,

We developed a FREE add-on which disables the print functions for all users except administrators or managers.

The add-on will disable the print functions from these User Interface elements in ACT!

1. Three Print menus from the FILE menu          
  2. "Related Tasks" navigation area on the left side                  
  3. Right-click popup menus on any list view.        
  4. Mail Merge menu in the "Write Menu"             
  5. Removed top level the "Reports Menu"
  6. Disabled the "Reports View"

Link to download:

http://durkincomputing.com/ACTAddonsDownloads/Durkin_noPrint_For_ACT.exe

You can post any comments or suggestion in our forum at:

http://durkincomputing.com/ACTAddonForum/default.aspx

Hope this helps

-- Jim Durkin

www.DurkinComputing.com

BTW- Mike, looks like you're gunning for 20,000. Congratulations on your first 10,000 posts!

Highlighted
Skilled Commentator

Great thanks for that Jim and Mike,

I think a combination of both those ideas will largely solve the problem. But not completely. They still need to be able to print some things, such as their task list or a contacts activities.  I just don't wan them to be able to print, export or back up a full list of customer phone numbers, emails and addresses the day before they quit. Is there way to stop certain fields (eg phone number) being visible on contact details, exports to excel or prints?

Any other solutions on how to solve this?

We're a Personal Training company, with lots of Trainers. Trainers are renown for trying to steal client when they leave. I'm can't stop it 100%, but I'm hoping you have an idea that will help minimise what they can access/print/export

Thanks