Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How big is too big?

Copper Contributor

How big is too big?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone techy out there could give me some insight as to how much data we can put into an Sage ACT! Pro 2011 database before it would start to really struggle.  We have just gone over 10,000 contact records, 5500 Company records and ADF file is 168,000kb.  Also, how does storing email attachments effect performance, if at all?

Employee

Re: How big is too big?

[ Edited ]

There really is no limit to the number of records you can potentially have in your database, the only limiting factors are those imposed by SQL (the express version only allows 4 gb of data, the standard version has no limitations) and your hardware. A single record only consumes a small amount of data (~1kb if i remember correctly), however the amount of activites, notes and histories associated with that record can change that.

Attachments in general shouldn't have any affect on the performance of your database.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Bronze Super Contributor

If you're using Sage ACT! 2011, that should be using MS SQL 2008 R2 Express by default.

• The MS SQL Server 2008 R2 Express limit is 10GB.

If you're using a previous version and the SQL ACT7 Instance is in MS SQL Server 2005 Express the limit is 4GB.

The limit for MSDE2000 was 2GB.

Ben.

I'm using ACT 2007 Prem for workgroups EX Edition and my ADF file size is over 630KB is that possibe??? am I reading something wrong? My database has over 18k cards with attachments of all kinds. I'm in the DB User info in the help section but I'm trouble making sense of it. For DB Resv 615.88 and for used 552.13
Employee

I think you may be looking at something wrong, an empty database from that version was around 20mb. It's possible your .afl may be around that size but I'd expect it to be a bit larger.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! 2007 uses SQL 2005. If you are using the Express version of SQL 2005 (local database on your own machine), then the .ADF size limit is 4GB. Sounds like you are well within this limit.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I am using SQL 2005 Express Edition in a shared environment. No local databases. How can I check the size of the DB? My ALF size is 1024kb and my ADF size is 630,656 What is the DB info I am seeing in the help section?
Employee

From your workstation if your able, you can browse to the location where the file resides and view the file info in windows explorer. Alternatively from the server via the diagnostic utility (Start -> Run 'actdiag').

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

SO the ADF file that is 630,656KB in size which I point all my users to is the database?