Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How automated can a activity series be?

How automated can a activity series be?

I run an insurance agency and have multiple clients I want/need to follow up with.. I would like to create activities that I can "set then forget".  Is it possible to do this?... Meaning when my day starts and it tells me I have 137 different letters to print for different clients, then all I would have to do is click a process now or print now button and all the letters will print automatically and then move the activity series to the next process in line..  Or am I destined to spend the first two hours of my day processing one letter at a time?

Help

Robert Sichmeller

www.Sichmeller.com 

Nickel Contributor

Re: How automated can a activity series be?

[ Edited ]

Robert,

There are some automated programs out there for ACT!.  If you go to the addon section at ACT!.com, there is an automation tool,  but be prepared to pay through the nose for it.  There is also crmaddons.com "SAM" product which is much cheaper but you have to program it which might take you some time. 

If you really want something cheap,  since ACT! is always short on ACTION!,  then you could get a small macro program($39.00 or so) or even better (AUTOIT and AUTOHOTKEY) both of which are free!  Take that ACT!.  Anyway, you could program ACT! via OLEDB and capture the change by using these programs and cause a macro to fire your request.  Even there ACT! hides its activities so deep into the program that it's hard to get the information unless you're a programmer.  THANKS ACT!  WE APPRECIATE IT. 

See ACT! won't even let their field controls be "captured".  It has to be forced up to the top.  A control macro won't capture the changed field since we all know how terrible they set up their field changes and how they begrudgingly fixed OLEDB.  They want your info or their addon partners want your info, but you can't have it unless you are a programmer.  But alas,  I am finding a way around it.

-P

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 07-06-2008 11:44 AM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 07-06-2008 11:46 AM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 07-06-2008 11:56 AM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 07-06-2008 11:57 AM

So what program exists that can do this?... I went to office depot today and bought Goldmine 6.7 which after installing it I find out it is 3 years old... I want a program I can set a process for and then just wait for it to tell me when and what to do...

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

How much time do you have to learn on the side?   The only one "tailored" for ACT! is crmaddons.com and even then it takes a little time.  If you have time, things can be done for free, but it takes learning AUTOIT and AUTOHOTKEY and MacroExpress(the only one that costs $39.00).  I don't know it all myself,  but there are ways around everything.

Don't buy another program.  ACT!'s concept is the best,  but they essentially want to own you.  DON'T LET THEM DO IT! THEIR CREATIVE SIDE IS ONE OF THE WORSE I HAVE EVER SEEN!  {please post courteously}

I will give you an example of a workaround.

For example,  the ACT! templates can be configured as text files and converted to .doc files with a simple macro.  If you use oledb and some script, you could capture the changed field and run the macro to create the template outside of ACT!  There are ways to "mouse click" the ACT! document tab and drag that newly created Word template, after you create it, to the tab.  Since ACT! in it's wisdom WILL NOT assign a hotkey to its own tabs, pixel searching will "click" on the tab for you.

Sound hard? Not really.  I learned it pretty quick and I am no programmer.

You could grab "ALL" the info from the Excel OLE DB and loop with script to do what you have to do. 

Want to know why I am telling you this?  Because I don't want you to bow down to the ACT! altar.  You should have freedom with your own data.

-P

Message Edited by tashina on 07-06-2008 08:05 PM